GF Product Reviews

GF Bisquick – Buy TWO or Three

18 Comments 05 August 2010

GF Bisquick – Buy TWO or Three

Was the yellow box of Bisquick a staple in your home growing up?  I remember that box lasting for months and months.  As you know, I was thrilled to find gluten-free Bisquick a few days ago, and the single box that I bought is already gone.  I knew it wouldn’t last long.  It was a tiny box, and the 16-ounce bag of flour inside was even tinier.  (Obviously, or it wouldn’t fit in the box — I’m talking about settling here!)  The Bisquick was gone after only making one and 3/4 recipes.  So my suggestion to you is to buy TWO or even three boxes when you find them.

Last night, I needed comfort dinner.  And my favorite dinner in the world is breakfast.  So I kind of followed the directions on the back of the gluten-free Bisquick box to make biscuits.  I haven’t had Crisco in my pantry for ten years, so I used butter instead, and we were out of milk, but almond milk worked just as well.  I can’t even remember the last time I had biscuits, but these were divine.

They were divine all by themselves.

They were divine for making an egg sandwich.

They were divine with raspberry preserves.

And they were divine for a little carb loading before this morning’s spin and swim workouts.

After triathlon training, I was ready to try Aunt Pat’s suggestion.  Blueberry Chocolate Chip Pancakes sounded out-of-this-world delicious.  And I was going to treat myself to a hot, homemade breakfast on my last official day of summer vacation.  But, alas, no chocolate chips.  So, I’d have to suffer through blueberry pancakes for my recovery meal.  That, and fistfuls of these beautiful little berries.

(And this is just to show you how incredibly hot and humid it is in Nashville right now.  The camera lens fogged up immediately when I took my berries to my outside studio…or the porch.  Natural light just wasn’t going to work this morning!)

Remember that tiny box of gluten-free Bisquick that I was so excited about?  Well, after baking a single batch of biscuits last night, there wasn’t enough Bisquick left to make pancakes!  Isn’t Bisquick supposed to last forever?  Maybe not forever, but I thought that I could make at least two recipes with one box.  I filled up my measuring cup with the remaining Bisquick and added The Aherns’ All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour Mix until I had a full cup.   (This flour mixture from Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef is magic.)

Potential deliciousness.

Perfect thickness.

Piled high.

Perfect breakfast.

Gluten-Free Bisquick gets the Gluten-Free Cat seal of approval, but they need to make a bigger box!

Until then, buy two or three.

1. The Husband says:

“They were divine all by themselves.
    They were divine for making an egg sandwich.
    They were divine with raspberry preserves.”

I like your Bisquick biscuits, Sam I am.

2. Aunt Pat says:

Sorry you had to skip the chocolate chips, but even so I could almost have eaten the picture! Think the Aherns flour mixed in is a permanent addition? These must have been awesome since this is the first time The Husband has posted a comment!

3. jennifer says:

i’ll have to try this mix out. my grandmother mastered a gluten-free homemade biscuit recipe 5 years ago when i first went on the diet..but she doesn’t cook anymore and she’s old-fashioned and doesn’t measure anything when cooking, she just throws it in as she feels like she needs to, so i was never able to get a recipe. haven’t had biscuits since she stopped cooking :(

4. Susan says:

I agree- bisquick really has to come out with a bigger box- box so small and rather expensive! I have gone through 4 boxes within 1 1/2 weeks!

5. Mom says:

I found gf bisquick in my Hy-Vee. I can’t wait to have strawberry shortcake!

6. Julie says:

Where do you buy the gluten free bisquick? thanks
    Julie

7. Katey says:

Gluten Free Bisquick has been a God-send for me as a college student! Quick comfort foods for a reasonable price!

You have to try the pancakes with chocolate chips in them… they are “divine”!

8. Holly says:

I agree, that small box is not enough. I did find that the Bisquick lacks a little in flavor. I love Pamela’s for the flavor but that mix is too dense. I’ve found that by mixing the two it stretches my little box of Bisquick,my items have a light airy bisquick texture and the wonderful flavor of the Pamela’s. You should try it!

I agree with you!! Since writing that post I haven’t used Bisquick since. Why??? Because Pamela’s is my go-to mix. :) Thanks for reading and sharing, Holly!

9. John Thomas says:

I live in Canada and can only get this Canadian product at some Safeway stores in the USA. I make a single pancke with it every day, If anyone knows where I can order it on line by the case please let me know.
    Thanks John

1. Thankful Thoughts 2010 | Gluten-Free Cat - 25. Nov, 2010

[...] Mainstream companies like General Mills who offer gluten-free products like Betty Crocker mixes and Bisquick [...]