It has been cold in Nashville, and while I adore my smoothies, some evenings I just need a good old-fashioned, hot, home-cooked meal. A meal that wraps its arms around me and says, “You’re finally home. Welcome. Sit and stay for a while.”
This meal does that for me.
Maybe it’s the roasted turkey, which is usually reserved for holidays.
Maybe it’s the sweet potato slices that whisper simple comfort.
Maybe it’s the caramelized onions that intensify the sweetness of the carrots.
Maybe it’s knowing that the veggies and the turkey were prepped last night, and all I need to do is slide it into the oven.
Maybe it’s time to show you how to make this meal.
Slice the carrots, sweet potatoes, and onions and place them in a large bowl. Add the sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil, and toss it until the vegetables are well-coated. Transfer the vegetables to a 9×13-inch glass baking dish and roast at 400ºF for 15-20 minutes.
Pull the partially-roasted vegetables out of the oven and push them to the sides of the dish, leaving a space in the middle.
Lay the seasoned turkey tenderloin in that little space and return it to the oven.
And 20-30 minutes later, your home will smell like childhood days when you came in from playing kickball after the streetlights came on.
And you’re greeted with a delightful meal that says, “Welcome home”.
Turkey Tenderloin with Sweet Roasted Veggies
- 1 c. thinly and diagonally sliced carrots
- 1 large sweet potato sliced thinly and quartered
- 1 1/2 c. thin onion slices
- 8 oz. package of sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- 2 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 turkey tenderloin
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1. Slice carrots, sweet potatoes, and onions and place them in a large bowl. Add the sliced mushrooms, 2 garlic cloves, balsamic vinegar, 1 1/2 T. olive oil, and half of the salt and pepper, and toss until coated.
2. Transfer vegetables to a 9×13-inch glass baking dish and roast at 400ºF for 15-20 minutes.
3. While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the turkey tenderloin by brushing it with 1/2 T. of olive oil and sprinkling it with rosemary, 1 clove of garlic minced, and the remaining sea salt and pepper.
4. Remove the half-roasted vegetables from the oven, stir, and push them to the sides of the dish, leaving space in the middle. Place the seasoned turkey tenderloin in the empty space and return the baking dish to the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven, stir the vegetables, and replace it in the oven for another 15 minutes, or until the turkey is no longer pink in the center (170ºF).
6. Let the turkey stand for 5 minutes and slice it into 1/2-inch slices against the grain.
Welcome home, and enjoy.
This recipe is linked to:
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free
- Real Food Weekly at The W.H.O.L.E. Gang
- Seasonal Sundays at Real Sustenance