GF Product Reviews

Friday’s Find: Go Raw Chocolate Super Cookies

18 Comments 28 January 2011

Friday’s Find: Go Raw Chocolate Super Cookies

It’s Friday, and I’m loving today’s Friday’s Find. If I told you that you could have gluten-free, organic, chocolate cookies that are made with only five ingredients, would you believe me? Would you believe me if I told you that they were actually good for you and that they contain “real live” ingredients?  Well, I’ve never lied to you, so you’d better believe me. But would you believe that they were delicious enough to stop a chocolate craving in its tracks?

I’ve been eyeing Go Raw Super Cookies for a while now, but I hadn’t picked up a package until this week.  I’ve been anti-package, anti-processed foods lately, so I’ve stayed away from anything that doesn’t grow or move.  But based on the fact that Go Raw is all about creating snacks that are “living”, I had to give them a try.  While Go Raw makes Ginger Snaps, Spirulina Super Chips, Pumpkin Super Chips, and Original Super Cookies, I’m a chocolate girl.  If I’m going to eat a treat, it has to be chocolaty.

So I chose the Chocolate Super Cookies.

These tiny chocolaty discs are made with all organic ingredients.  The seeds are soaked, sprouted, and then dried at an average temperature of 98° so the ingredients are still alive yet easy to digest.  Dotted with sprouted sesame seeds and flecks of coconut, these cookies are held together and sweetened with dates and raw agave nectar. The raw cacao provides a deep, satisfying chocolaty taste.

One bag contains 3 one-ounce servings, and each serving has just under 150 calories.

The Go Raw line was created by Freeland Foods, a family-owned company that produces raw, vegan, certified organic, certified wheat and gluten free products.  Besides their cookies, they make bars, granola, sprouts, and even chocolate.  After sampling the Chocolate Super Cookies, you’d better believe I’ll be looking out for some of their other products.

So, how do they taste?  They’re hard and crunchy at first, and just when you start to wonder if you’re going to like these healthy treats, they turn chewy, and your mouth fills with a delightfully chocolaty taste.  And, and I said, it’s a deep, pure chocolate taste that lingers after the cookie is long gone.  I believe that is what stops a chocolate craving in its tracks.

I encourage you to pick up a package of Go Raw Chocolate Super Cookies and test them out for yourself.

Have you tried any Go Raw goodies?  Which one should I pick up next?

1. Beth says:

Oh, I can’t wait to try those! I want to try the Ginger Snaps too. Where’d you buy them?

2. Pam says:

Ok, the next time I go in the class, maybe bring me one so that I can try it. I am a tad nervous eating live things….. but I do trust you. Me being the chocolate nut in my house, well I am willing to try this new little treat.

3. Tara Marshall says:

Unfortunately, Agave “Nectar” is not what the name suggests. It is NOT made from the flower of the Agave plant, and it is not even remotely organic. It’s just another sweetener, like “high fructose corn syrup”, but with a name chosen for marketing strategy. It’s actually made from the root of the plant, and is processed using multiple chemicals.
    For more info: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/03/30/beware-of-the-agave-nectar-health-food.aspx

• Emily says:

Hi Tara,

Just a note that I purchased this product today, and it looks like the company has removed agave nectar from the recipe! The cookies now only contain coconut, sprouted sesame seeds, dates and cacao.

4. Heather says:

I’m always thankful for comments that make us really think about the choices we are making regarding what to put into our bodies. Thank you, Tara! Agave nectar is a controversial ingredient. I suggest that after you read Tara’s link you also check out these.

After much research, I’ve chosen to use agave nectar, in moderation, from reputable companies. What are your thoughts?

5. Aunt Pat says:

Only because it is you will I entertain the idea of believing this product is good such that I’d be willing to try it. Hope SD’s Whole Foods has it! I have a box of yucky Active Greens Organic Food Bars to return and would love to replace it with something delicious!

6. Great product post! I’m interested to see if I can replicate these goodies in the home kitchen. I’m doing all sorts of GF goodies and raw/live snacks for our local winter farmer’s market and would love to offer some “live” cookies!

7. laxsupermom says:

Great review! You’ve hit both taste and texture. Texture is always iffy when trying out new gf foods. They sound right up my alley. I’ll have to see if I can find some.

8. Those look yummy! Will have to look for these the next time I take a trip to Whole Foods!

9. Mike-Jane says:

I have tried the Go Raw Chocolate Super Cookie and enjoy them and i am a believer in good nutrition and live food. I also came across a different brand named Go Raw Organic Spirulina Bar with organic sesame seeds, organic banana, organic unsulphured coconut organic date and organic spirulina at http://www.enutritionbars.com and even tough they are expensive, they are very tasty and healthy.