GF Recipes

Green Mango Coconut Milk Smoothie

13 Comments 13 January 2011

Green Mango Coconut Milk Smoothie

As you know, I’ve been making a lot of smoothies lately, but green smoothies were born out of necessity for me.  If I didn’t know how to use a CSA veggie, into the Vitamix it went. But my smoothie tastes are a little more discerning these days.  And I’m learning to actually prepare many of the CSA vegetables that I didn’t know what to do with a year ago.  I don’t normally post my smoothie recipes, because most of them are random.  But when I create a memorable smoothie, I grab a pen and my notebook to jot down the ingredients and proportions before I forget them.  This smoothie is a keeper.

It features Swiss Chard, which provides that lovely green color and a host of health benefits. Swiss Chard is jam packed with nutrition.  It is an excellent source of vitamins C, E, and K, carotenes, chlorophyll, and fiber.  (In fact, just one cup of Swiss Chard provides you with 14.7% of the daily fiber requirements.)  For additional information on the nutritional benefits of this amazing vegetable, look here.

But if you’d prefer a summary, Swiss Chard contributes to:

• A healthy immune system
  • Bone, lung, and heart health
  • Cancer prevention, especially colon and digestive tract cancers
  • Regeneration of glutathione, one of the most important antioxidants in the body
  • Maintaining normal blood sugar levels
  • Kidney protection for diabetics

If that list doesn’t convince you to try this smoothie, then maybe the creamy, tropical taste will.

Green Mango Coconut Smoothie

Place all ingredients in the blender in the order listed. Placing the ice in the blender last will help push the Swiss Chard down to the blades. Blend until creamy. Serves 2.

Other Notes:

• I use unsweetened coconut milk to eliminate cane sugar, but I’m sure the So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk would taste…well, delicious.
  • Spirulina is a sea vegetable that provides an extra dose of protein, but it is purely optional.
  • Spinach would be a great substitute for Swiss Chard as it’s a silky leaf with a mild flavor.  (But do you really want to miss out on all of the goodness that Swiss Chard has to offer?)

Other related recipes you might enjoy:

What are your favorite smoothie combinations?  Please share, I’m feeling adventurous!

(This recipe is linked to Seasonal Sundays hosted by Real Sustenance and D-Tox January at G-Free Mom.)

1. This does look super scrumptious! Hoping that you will link it to the D-tox January linky ‘thing’ at the end of the month. 😉

I’ve been watching your series, and I love it! I’ll definitely post this one. Thanks for doing a round up at the end. I always learn so much from other bloggers.

2. Aunt Pat says:

Wish I had a blender with me! What does CSA stand for? Don’t smoothies make you freezing cold after eating them? Wonder how these ingredients would work as a soup!
    I have renewed interest in the health benefits you listed after all we’be been through and are going through. Much better to be proactive rather than trying to fix something already entrenched. Oh the laziness entangling me!

CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. We’re in our second season with our local farmers and love it. They harvest that very morning that we receive a delivery.
      And YES I do get cold, especially in the winter. So I’ve learned to have some herbal tea steeping for right afterwards!

3. Christine says:

You are the smoothie queen! I really like this one because it uses two of my favorite things: mangoes and So Delicious coconut milk! Now where did I put that Swiss chard? :)

4. Oh man, this looks amazing! I love that you’ve listed the benefits of swiss chard. A lot of people hate the stuff, but you really can’t taste it if it’s hidden right and these smoothies look perfect for it. I’m always trying to find smoothie recipes. You can never have too many of them!

You are so right, Leanne. I had to serve the first green smoothies to a certain someone with eyes closed until he admitted that it was delicious. I didn’t want him to be put off by the green color.

5. Leslie says:

O-M-G these were amazing! I made them for Superbowl Sunday!

You must have been cheering for Green Bay! So glad you enjoyed the smoothies!

• Leslie says:

:) We actually didn’t start off with any bias towards either team, but I have to admit after seeing the first couple great plays, we were glowing in the greenness…of the smoothies that is! Thanks again—I’ll be making these again!

1. Green Smoothie Ideas - 14. Jan, 2012

[…] this Tropical Tango Smoothie or this Festive Cranberry Chocolate Smoothie.  I also really love Heather’s Green Mango Coconut Smoothie, but have run out of my spirulina sample, so I need to get some to add to it.  It is good […]

2. Recipe for Healthy Gluten-Free Diet: TBP’s Friday Favorites: The Salad Blues - 10. Feb, 2012

[…] Switch up your spinach smoothie for this Green Mango Smoothie with Swiss Chard. […]

I'm a curious girl, wife, teacher, fitness fanatic, gluten-free foodie, high-raw vegan, and Mama Cat living in NYC. I've made the transition from baking and cooking gluten-free to creating raw vegan recipes that are naturally gluten free. My gluten intolerance opened up my diet to a whole new world of nutritious plant-based foods. While I'm not 100% vegan, it's my favorite way to eat, and making and sharing raw foods makes me giddy. Living in the City has its joys and challenges, and I enjoy sharing my experiences with you.

© 2017 Gluten-Free Cat. Powered by Wordpress.