GF Recipes

April in the Raw: tRAWpical oat breakfast

23 Comments 12 April 2011

April in the Raw: tRAWpical oat breakfast

April in the Raw has been such a deliciously delightful event!  Brittany of Real Sustenance has done a fantastic job of rounding up inspirational bloggers who have introduced us to raw recipes like:

I’ve enjoyed learning right along with the rest of you by following April in the Raw.  Check here for a complete list of the guest bloggers and links to their posts for each day of this month to make sure that you haven’t missed a single one!

I am not a raw foodie.  But I love experimenting as well as eating clean, pure, naturally gluten-free foods.  So when Brittany asked me to provide a guest post for April in the Raw, I didn’t hesitate.  I knew this would be the perfect opportunity to play, tinker, and learn from the best.  I also knew the perfect raw recipe that I would share with you.

I am a breakfast girl.  Cereals, pancakes, muffins, hot cereals, bagels, eggs and biscuits, breakfast burritos, crepes, oh I love them all.  Breakfast was the hardest meal of the day for me to deal with when I found out that I could no longer eat gluten.  Thankfully, today we have found enough alternative flours and brilliant blogger recipes so that we can enjoy some of our favorites every once in a while.  But the dramatic shift from a wheat-based diet to a wheatless diet pushed me into a whole new world of breakfasts that I’ve fallen in love with (quinoa and smoothies, smoothies, smoothies to name a few).

The shift to a raw food diet is even more dramatic.  I love raw fruit for breakfast, but I can only exist on fruit alone for so long.

As I mentioned in my Raw Challenge post, I was introduced to raw foods a few summers ago when I bought Robyn Boyd’s cookbook Rawsome Recipes.  I had so much fun learning how to sprout my own seeds, soaking grains instead of cooking the nutrients out of them, and retraining my tastebuds to crave a date-sweetened pecan pie and avocado carob mousse instead of chocolate chip cookies.  One of my absolute favorite Rawsome Recipes is Robyn’s version of oatmeal using soaked oats and buckwheat groats.  I’ve made her recipe for years and even began making my own versions.

I’d like to share one of my versions with you here called tRAWpical oat breakfast.

You’ll need these ingredients.

The base of this recipe is oat groats and buckwheat groats.

Oat groats

Buckwheat groats

You’ll also need a large bowl, a fine-meshed colander, and a food processor.

Soak the grains in a bowl of water for 12-24 hours.  Rinse and drain.

Place all of the ingredients in the food processor.

Cover it with coconut milk. (For 100% raw, use your own homemade nut milk.)

If you like a chunky oatmeal, just pulse it for a few seconds until it’s well combined.  If you like it really creamy, mix it a little longer.

And here you have a delicious tropical-tasting raw oat breakfast!

I divide the breakfast into four individual servings and keep them in the refrigerator for quick grab-and-go breakfasts.

tRAWpical oat breakfast
Inspired by Robyn Boyd of Rawsome Recipes

• 3/4 c. oat groats
  • 1/4 c. buckwheat groats
  • 2 T. chia seeds (soaked in 1/4 c. water for 10 minutes)
  • 1/2 c. coconut milk (or any nut milk)
  • 1/4 c. almonds
  • 5 dates (pits removed)
  • 1/2 mango chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1/4 c. organic unsweetened coconut
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. cardamom
  • sea salt to taste

1.  Soak the oat groats and buckwheat groats in a bowl of water for 12-24 hours.  Drain, rinse, and add fresh water once or twice during that time period.

2.  Add all of the ingredients to the food processor, topping it with the coconut milk, and process for 10-15 seconds or until it reaches desired consistency.

3.  Serve and top with fresh mango slices.

Serves 4

And just for fun…Marcy is always trying to get in my food shots.

“Paint me like one of your French kitties.”

This post is linked to:

1. Thanks for the shoutout :) Your recipe looks fantastic – and good to know gluten-free oat groats exist. I need to find some of those to try your recipe :)

2. Deanna says:

Yum! That looks delicious. I haven’t tried buckwheat recently. I should see if I can eat it without tummy upset. Oats are out right now for me, but I’m sure I could do this with double the buckwheat instead, at least to try it.

3. Gigi says:

Love Marcy!! :) And your breakfast is awesome, too!
    xo,
    Gigi

4. Iris says:

Wonderful idea! I’ve just started using buckwheat groats and I need some more ideas for them.

5. I can’t eat this right now, Heather, but it sure does look good. Great addition to April in the Raw! I love Gift of Nature’s products. :-)

Oh, and that Marcy is a cutie! I love black cats. ;-)

xo,

Darn those oats! I’m so thankful that I don’t have any trouble with them. Deanna suggesting trying the recipe with just buckwheat groats.

Oh, and Marcy KNOWS she’s cute. She’s one of THOSE cats. :)

• Actually, Heather, there are a slew of things in that delicious breakfast of yours that I can’t eat right now. I can eat small amounts of oats, but I can’t eat buckwheat and chia seeds and almonds are off the table, too. I’m hopeful that one day, I’ll be able to enjoy them all! Many of us deal with these issues. It’s not a biggie. I’ll use your recipe as inspiration!

I used to have to stay away from all dairy, soy, and yeast as well as gluten, so I understand. It truly is an amazing journey as we follow our bodies’ signals and find health.

I’m giggling at the thought of inspiring YOU with a recipe as yours have been an inspiration to me for so long! xo!

6. Debi says:

Heather, thanks for the link love! I’m a breakfast lover, too! In fact, I need to go make it as soon as I get off of here. This is such a great recipe. I need to get some of those oat groats and try it. I might leave out the buckwheat. I’ve never cared for it. But, any time you use tropical fruits it reminds me of home AND I totally love cinnamon!

7. Christine says:

Yum! I never really thought that you could soak grains instead of cooking them. Now I’ve got to get me some oat groats! Unless you think rolled oatmeal flakes would work?

8. veganlisa says:

I love this recipe! A good, filling, nourishing breakfast is so important for the success of my day. Thank you.

9. Mallory says:

This might be a silly question, but do you use canned coconut milk for this recipe, or the kind sold in cartons in the refrigerated milk section? Thanks!

Not a silly question at all! I’m sure raw foodies would actually crack open a real coconut! But I use the carton of So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk. You just need a little liquid to help the processing, and coconut milk is so yummy with the other tropical flavors. Thanks for reading and commenting, Mallory!

10. sophie says:

Hi :)

Could this recipe made with uncooked quinoa or all buckwheat groats in the event that we cannot have oats?

Thanks so much!

Sophie, I’d love to try it!! I might even soak the quinoa for a few days until it sprouts. Sprouted quinoa is so good for you!! Thanks for stopping by!

11. amber says:

Hi There Heather,

Just a note to let you know I shared your awesome recipe on my monthly recipe round-up highlighting raw dishes. If you get a chance, come on over and check out the other inspiring raw recipes from sweet to savory.

Be Well,