GF Recipes

Daring Cook’s Challenge: Mini Bread Bowls and Avocado Spinach Soup

23 Comments 14 April 2011

Daring Cook’s Challenge:  Mini Bread Bowls and Avocado Spinach Soup

I was so thankful to learn that this month’s Daring Cooks’ Challenge would fit perfectly with my Raw Challenge!  Well, part of it would anyway.

Renata of Testado, Provado & Aprovado! was our Daring Cooks’ April 2011 hostess. Renata challenged us to think “outside the plate” and create our own edible containers! Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 17th to May 16th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!

I have always been enamored with bread bowls.  Before learning of my gluten intolerance my favorite comfort food at Bread & Company was tomato basil soup served in a thick bread bowl.  The soup would slowly soften the bread as I sipped away, eventually leaving me with perfectly saturated bread that I could eat to my heart’s and tummy’s content.  Oh, pure happiness!

But I’ve had a hard enough time making gluten-free breads that can hold sandwich fixings, I couldn’t even imagine making a bread that would hold soup!

So as soon as I read about this challenge, I knew that I had to figure out how to make a gluten-free bread bowl that would stand up.

I did come up with a delicious raw soup to put in my bread bowl in keeping with my Raw Challenge.  But for the bowl itself I used Risotteria’s Gluten-Free Breadstick and Pizza Dough Mix, one of my favorites.  I figured if this dough could handle the gobs of toppings that I put on my pizzas it just might be able to handle soup.

I prepared the mix as if making pizza, but I divided the dough into 12 balls.

I flattened each ball.

And I formed them to the reverse side of a buttered muffin tin.

The dough needed a quiet, warm place to rise.

Then I lightly brushed each bread bowl with olive oil and baked them until they were golden.

Twelve sturdy little bread bowls ready for the soup!

(Aren’t they adorable???)

I’ve served this Avocado Spinach Soup twice this week, once in the bread bowls for the Husband, and again without the bread for a raw food potluck.  It was a big hit with everyone. The creamy, cool avocado and the spicy cayenne provide a delicious contrast, and the color is just gorgeous.

I hope you enjoy it!

Avocado Spinach Soup

• 2 Avocados
  • 2 c. Spinach
  • 1/2 Cucumber, peeled
  • 1/4 c. Cilantro leaves (save a few for garnish)
  • 1 T. Olive Oil
  • 1 T. Lime Juice
  • 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 c. Water (or more for thinner soup)
  • 1 Tomato, seeded and chopped
  • Fresh Ground Pepper to taste

1.  Place the avocados through cayenne pepper in a blender.  Slowly add a cup of water and blend until smooth.  Add more water if you like a thinner soup.

2.  Pour the soup into bread bowls and garnish with cilantro leaves, chopped tomato, and a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper.

Serves 12 as appetizers or 4-6 as a meal

What is your favorite edible container?

This recipe is also linked to:

1. Rochelle says:

Great bread bowls! Are they as flaky as they look? And such a beautiful green color on your soup too :D

2. Claudia says:

That soup looks so brilliant, just fabulous. I want to try the bread bowl as well if I can find that GF Mix.

You have to order the Risotteria mix right from the company, but I bet you can use your own favorite gluten-free pizza mix and get similar results. Have fun!

3. Robert says:

I am not into raw food and not subscribing to any kind of gluten free diet. That being said, that soup sounds delicious. I am keeping this idea in my brain to steal at a later date. Great work on the challenge.

4. I’m super impressed with your effort the colour of the soup is outstanding and I love the whole vegan concept, I commented several times but for some reason these have been lost. Bravo to you.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

5. Renata says:

It came out really good! I could never tell it is gluten free! Great job, thanks for participating, and I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

6. Shu Han says:

I just love the creaminess of avocado! Made use of that to make a wasbi avocado-naise a while ago (:

It’s great how you used it to make a creamy soup without using cream! Yum!

Oh, wasabi avocado-naise sounds so yummy! I love that blending veggies makes a creamy soup without any butter, milk, or cream. Thanks for commenting!

7. Christine says:

I am super impressed with your bread bowls! (The soup sounds pretty good, too!) I never would have thought to drape them over an inverted muffin pan.

8. I’m I visiting from a Gluten free blog hop.

The soup looks beautiful and I LOVE the idea of forming the basket on the reverse side of a buttered muffin tin! What a great idea.

9. Linda says:

I love the bread bowl idea. How creative! And the soup looks tasty.

10. Gi says:

I am dying to try the soup! I love the bowl.

11. SunnyB says:

Heather, this looks amazing! Thank you for linking in with our ICM avocado challenge. We would appreciate if you would either include the blog-hop or add the challenge link to your “also linked to” list. (http://tinyurl.com/3lf95p7)

I cannot wait to give this a try!

xoxo,
    SunnyB

1. Weekly Round Up – April 17, 2011 - 17. Apr, 2011

[...] Mini-Bread Bowls and Avocado Spinach Soup from Heather at Gluten-Free Cat. [...]

2. Seasonal Sunday (04-24-11) Happy Easter! | Real Sustenance - 24. Apr, 2011

[...] Avocado- Spinach Soup in Mini Bread Bowls from Gluten Free Cat Sauerkraut/Cabbage Brownies  from  Mysteries Internal [...]