My childhood memory of beets includes that gagging reflex that accompanied the phrase, “Not until you’re done with your vegetables.” I was generally a good eater, but I absolutely hated beets.
Of course, my brother loved beets, but he did always choose to love the exact opposite of what I claimed to be my favorite. In the 70’s when the hot thing was collecting “smelly stickers”, my favorite was red raspberry. I can still smell that synthetic tart berry scent just thinking about it. My brother? His favorite was skunk. Who likes skunk smelly stickers??? He had pages of them in his sticker album that over powered the smell of any other sticker in the same room. The same went with candy. I loved red licorice. My brother liked black. And at Easter when I had finished my favorite orange jelly beans, I knew I could trade my brother all of my black jelly beans for the rest of his orange ones. My brother was weird.
But maybe he was on to something with the beets.
Mind you, I never had a fresh beet until I was an adult. I waited as long as possible to try them remembering the canned beets of my childhood. But when I tried a fresh beet I was amazed that the two were even related.
And then I tried raw beets in salads. Delicious.
As you know, our CSA keeps us well-stocked with vegetables that I had never even heard of before. And this month there was an abundance of beets. In keeping with my Raw Challenge, I came up with this tasty raw root vegetable salad that I think you’ll really enjoy. We did.
Raw Beet and Carrot Salad
- 3 c. shredded beets (about 6-8 small beets)
- 3 c. shredded carrots
- 1 T. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1/2 c. coarsely chopped parsley (plus a few sprigs for garnish)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1. Shred beets and carrots in a food processor.
2. Whisk together white balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and ground mustard. Then drizzle over the beets and carrots and mix lightly.
3. Gently fold in parsley and add a few sprigs for garnish.
(What was your favorite smelly sticker?)
This recipe is linked to:
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Real Food Weekly hosted by Diane of The WHOLE Gang