In my last post, I reported a flop with the dehydrator, so today I’ll share a success! I do wish I had better pictures, but I seriously had to fight to keep the remaining crackers for a quick photo shoot before they completely disappeared. These crackers were that delicious! I love the texture stages in flaxseed crackers. They start off crunchy and then begin to soften and gel just as the spiciness from the red pepper flakes kicks in.
Because my dehydrator does not have Teflex lined trays, I had to cut out round pieces of parchment paper so the flax goo wouldn’t drizzle through the weave of the trays. So these crackers looked more like frisbees than crackers at first.
Again, my apologies for the picture. We were ready to inhale these after crunching nothing but veggies for the past few days. No time to wait for proper daylight! The flash would have to do.
A few crackers did make it past the first day, and they were great for snacking, dipping in hummus, and spreading with nut pate.
Spicy Flaxseed Crackers
by Heather (with guidance from Raw Food Living)
- 2 c. whole flaxseeds
- 2 c. water
- 1/4 c. Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1. Soak the flaxseeds in 2 cups of water in a medium bowl for about 30 minutes.
2. Drain the flaxseeds using a fine-mesh strainer and place the gelled seeds back in the bowl.
3. Add Braggs, crushed red pepper, and cayenne pepper and stir until combined.
4. Spread on dehydrator sheets and dehydrate until crisp.
5. Break into cracker pieces.
And, yes, I now have Excalibur dehydrator envy.