Recipes have many inspirations. Sometimes it’s a flavor or an ingredient, and sometimes it’s a season, a special occasion, or even a person. But this recipe was completely inspired by one thought, “What the heck am I going to do with all of these turnips?” Yes, you guessed it. Our CSA delivered last week, and I hadn’t yet found a way to use the turnips from the week before, so now I had twice as many.
Not a fan of turnips? I’m not really either, but I wasn’t going to waste perfectly good, organic vegetables that my farmer worked so hard to grow and harvest for me. So I followed my general rule of thumb for eating things I know are good for me but that don’t strike my fancy. “If you don’t like something, disguise it by putting it together with other foods and flavors that you love.” It works every time. The flavors of this dish are so sweet that the turnips definitely take a back seat.
Sweet Root Veggies
- 1 lb. turnips, peeled and diced
- 1 Kohlrabi, peeled and diced
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 c. tapioca pearls
- zest and juice of one orange
- 3-4 c. veggie broth
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Place all ingredients in a soup pot.
2. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
3. Simmer until veggies are soft.
How do you like your turnips? This recipe is linked to: