GF Recipes

Daring Cooks’ Challenge: My Noodle Hands!

15 Comments 14 July 2011

Daring Cooks’ Challenge:  My Noodle Hands!

Steph from Stephfood was our Daring Cooks’ July hostess.  Steph challenged us to make homemade noodles without the help of a motorized pasta machine.  She provided us with recipes for Spätzle and Fresh Egg Pasta as well as a few delicious sauces to pair our noodles with!

No mixer, no food processor, no motorized tools — sounded like a great challenge to me! And, of course, my challenge would be even greater because of my need to make gluten-free noodles.  I’d made gluten-free ravioli before, but that recipe definitely required a food processor.  I needed a new gluten-free pasta recipe, so I turned to my friend Carol from Simply Gluten-Free.

I remembered that Carol had posted a recipe for Gluten-Free Fresh Pasta using the following flours, starches, and gum.

(Please see Carol’s blog for the exact recipe and other gluten-free delights.)

Her dough worked beautifully!  I was thrilled that I was able to hand mix the ingredients into a dough ball instead of the sticky mess that I’m used to with gluten-free doughs.

I borrowed a hand-crank pasta maker from a friend.  After thoroughly cleaning off the glutenous flour residue with a toothbrush for about an hour, I felt comfortable enough to use it.  I even threw my first few handfuls of pasta away to ensure that any remaining gluten had stuck to my dough and would not be ingested.

I had a little trouble getting the dough to work nicely with the pasta maker, but I did get a few good batches of noodles.

And I also got some noodles that clumped into a pile and stuck together.

I even tried the pizza cutter method.

I eventually made enough noodles to create a meal, but the noodles needed time to dry.  I tried the traditional pasta rack.

But within minutes my beautiful noodles were stretching, breaking in two, and falling to the table below.

So I dried the noodles on a flat surface.

Having had entirely too much fun for one day, I decided that we were having smoothies for dinner and postponed our homemade noodle dinner until the next day.

With a fresh perspective and a pile of quirky dried noodles, I was ready to start dinner.  The pasta cooked nicely, and in no time I had a gorgeous plate of noodles.

Although they were a little thicker than regular pasta, they were quite tasty.

I whipped up a little of what I like to call, “What’s On Hand Pesto” for my sauce.  This time it was a walnut pesto because we were out of pine nuts.  It was so delicious!

Walnut Pesto
adapted from The Pesto Template by Karina at Gluten-Free Goddess

• 1 c. basil
  • 1 c. parsley
  • 1/2 c. walnuts
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/3 c. olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy.  Adjust the amount of olive oil depending on the desired consistency.

Topped with my Walnut Pesto, this meal was delicious.

Thanks, Steph, for a great challenge.  Thanks, Carol, for a great noodle recipe.  And thanks, Karina, for your pesto template.  I guess this was a group challenge!

• Have you ever made homemade pasta?
  • What is your favorite gluten-free noodle recipe?
  • What’s the most challenging recipe you’ve made in the kitchen without an appliance?

To order any of the products I used click here:

Let’s Do…Organic Organic Tapioca Starch
Arrowhead Mills Organic Millet Flour
Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch
Bob’s Red Mill GF Sweet White Rice Flour
Bob’s Red Mill Xanthan Gum

The Walnut Pesto is linked to Grain-Free Real Food Linky Carnival hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager

1. Nish says:

Looks lovely! And the pesto has such a vibrant colour! :)

2. Andy says:

Looks great!!! Nice job.

3. blepharisma says:

Great job! Making GF noodles can be so tricky, and even when you get some made they don’t behave like wheat pasta!! I hope you enjoyed the results of your hard work. Thanks for sharing your process with us!

4. Great job! Wondering why the dough didn’t work well in the pasta roller…hmmm! Will have to go and take a look. When I roll the pasta I do it by hand and lay it flat as well. It is thicker but I like it that way. Your pesto looks amazing, what a great dinner!
    xo,
    c

It was my first time using a pasta maker, so I’m sure that it was a technique error and not a problem with the recipe. I really enjoyed the thicker pasta too. <3

5. I love making pestos and this is such a great recipe. Great job with the pasta maker; looks fabulous!
    So happy to find another gluten-free blogger! I love your GF blog..it’s wonderful.

6. Angie Halten says:

I am not going to even attempt making homemade pasta. I’m sure it tastes better and gives one a sense of accomplishment, however I know my patience would run out if it didn’t turn out perfect the first time. So I pulled out my package of GF pasta, and whipped up your walnut pesto (YUM!!!) and had a nice relaxing dinner.

That cracked me up. Yeah, I opened a package of DeBole’s rice noodles last night. I just didn’t have 4 hours to spare. Ha!! I’m glad you enjoyed the walnut pesto!

7. apaler1 says:

Wow, that looked so challenging but I like the rustic look it gave the noodles. I can’t imagine baking nowadays without a mixer. I could never whip up anything by hand so I can imagine the trouble of making these noodles by hand. Looks delicious though!

I’ll take “rustic” as a compliment! It blows my mind to think that people like my step mom’s Aunt Elsie always made pasta by hand. That was the only way for a woman from Italy! I have so much respect for those who did it all before our fun appliances!! It was a fun challenge for me, but I’m glad there’s gf pasta packages. Thanks so much for stopping by!

1. Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – July 17, 2011 « Celiac Kitchen Witch - 17. Jul, 2011

[...] [...]