GF Product Reviews, GF Recipes

Friday’s Find: Sugar-Free Vanilla Coconut Milk (and a new smoothie!)

27 Comments 08 July 2011

Friday’s Find:  Sugar-Free Vanilla Coconut Milk (and a new smoothie!)

This week’s Friday’s Find makes this Smoothie Queen very happy.  Not only is it made by a company that I already love, but it opens up flavor options without added sugar.  I love So Delicious Coconut Milk, but I usually purchase the unsweetened version to avoid sugar.  I have to admit that I do look longingly at the Vanilla, because it is truly sooooo delicious.  In coffee, over cereal, in smoothies, it’s just wonderful. But since I’ve cut out sugar, the vanilla sweetness has been but a lovely memory.

Until now.

This week I happened to see a carton of So Delicious Sugar-Free Vanilla Coconut Milk at Whole Foods.  While I was thrilled to see that it didn’t have cane sugar, I took a good hard look at the ingredients hoping that I wouldn’t find artificial sweeteners instead.  I was glad to see that it is sweetened with stevia and monk fruit.  Sweet!  Tempted to fill my cart, I decided to take just one box and see how I liked it first.

I should have filled the cart.

This vanilla coconut milk helped to make my next green smoothie one to remember.

The vanilla flavor went perfectly with these tropical fruits.

Island Paradise Smoothie

1.  Pour coconut milk into the VitaMix or blender, and add protein powder and chia seeds while blending for 3 seconds.  Let the liquid sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to gel.

2.  Add spinach and fruit, and then blend until creamy.

Makes 2 servings

Green, creamy goodness!

Have you tried So Delicious Sugar-Free Vanilla Coconut Milk yet?

What is your favorite non-dairy milk?

Other posts you may enjoy:

This post is linked to:

1. jessica says:

OH MY GOODNESS no way!! I was just talking to my mom and telling her that we’ll never get that sugared milk again and here you are telling me that there is an alternative!! Eek! Going to Whole Foods this weekend and stocking up!

I know, this is really exciting news!!! Thanks so much for stopping by, Jessica. It’s especially timely since it introduced me to your blog! I’ve been experimenting with eating vegan lately and LOVE it. Your blog will be a great resource for me. Thank you!

2. Hi Heather! Thank you for the lovely review and delicious recipe. We can’t wait to try it! Here’s a $1-off coupon you and your readers can use for any of our Coconut Milk Beverages: http://bit.ly/dV53a2 Enjoy!

3. Monkfruit? Okay, that is weird … but cool! I hadn’t trialed it, but will give it a go. Thanks for sharing!

4. Ricki says:

How VERY cool that foods are beginning to be sweetened with stevia! This really does sound like a tiny sip of paradise–so many gorgeous tropical flavors. Thanks for entering it in the Wellness Weekend! :D

I know! It IS great news! I’m excited about your Summer Wellness Weekend, and I look forward to seeing all of the yumminess that’s linked up!

5. AllieNic says:

HOW do you get your smoothies so CREAMY? Mine always have little chunks of spinach or something in them…those pictures look amazing!

What kind of blender do you have? I am SO lucky to have a VitaMix. I think that thing could turn a rock into pudding. It’s amazing! Thanks for commenting, Allie!

6. Daniela says:

Sounds delicious! What is your protein powder made with?

Daniela, welcome to Gluten-Free Cat! I used Nutribody http://www.nutribodyprotein.com/ in this smoothie. I used to use a cheap whey protein but found that I felt so much better with a high quality vegetarian powder. From their website “It’s pure, nourishing blend of brown rice and pea proteins provide a sweet, smooth taste with no preservatives, additives, cholesterol, sugar, or GMOs. Easily digestible and 100% hypoallergenic, Nutribody Protein® is free of soy, wheat, dairy, and eggs – common food allergens that can cause immune reactions and intestinal distress.” Thanks for commenting!

7. Tamara Cross says:

Shut the front door!!!
    I also have looked longingly at the Vanilla kind and have yearned for a little comfort for my sweet tooth. I add stevia to things myself all the time, but am SO excited to taste this!
    Have been trying to get the local health food store and main grocery store here to carry ISO products. So far, the grocery store carries a couple of the ice creams, but that’s all.
    Am gonna print this off and take it in, see if I can be more persuasive, otherwise I have to drive over an hour to Tulsa to get near this delicious stuff…
    Thanks for the good news, and the recipe! ^_^
    Tamara

I had to laugh aloud when I read your response! Glad there’s someone else out there who gets giddy about good products! :) It’s great to meet you, Tamara, and I really hope you can convince your store to carry this! I looked on Amazon and it’s not available for ordering yet. Maybe soon???

8. Meagan says:

Heather! Thank you so much for the kind comment on my blog, that was too sweet and honestly one of the nicest things anyone has ever said :) If I was allergic to peanut butter, I agree, it would be a VERY sad day indeed. I don’t find that I digest peanuts so well though, so I’ve cut back on my consumption… or I just make my own version which is easier! I’ve tried this coconut milk (not the sugar free, but the unsweetened plain) and I do like it. It’s a good option when I don’t feel like having lots of dairy. But I do prefer raw/fresh goat and cow’s milk :)

9. I love coconut milk. It tastes naturally sweet to me but never thought about making my smoothies with it…duh! Thanks for the idea.

10. Linda says:

I will have to look for that coconut milk. I’m so glad they used natural sweeteners. Your smoothie looks great!

11. Rachel says:

Yummy! I’ve never had chai seed! Sounds interesting! I would love to invite you to share this and other articles that may fit to a recently new link up called Healthy 2day Wednesdays for sharing tips, suggestions, going “green” ideas, recipes, etc every week! Keeping spreading the word about what HEALTHY really means! :)

Thanks for the invitation, Rachel! I look forward to checking it out! :) BTW, I’d like to make a t-shirt that says, “Healthy does not mean Lean Cuisine”.

12. Hippiechic says:

Hello All, Just found this website as I am new to the Gluten Free World! I’ve been making smoothies with the unsweetened coconut milk and adding honey as my sweetner of choice. Have you read about the health benefits of coconut milk…AWESOME! Like a miracle food! I have had compromised kidney function from Celiac… after 30 days of drinking this coconut milk every day my kidneys healed…dr said he’s never seen that happen before. So it was either coconut milk or 90 days gluten free that did it! Loved your butternut and apple cold salad! YUM!

Coconut milk IS amazing, and combined with allowing your body to heal from a lifetime of eating gluten, you must feel so much better now! So glad for you! After 3 months of being on a gf diet my abysmal lab results changed to all normal and healthy. Yay! So glad that you figured out how to help your body too. Thanks for commenting, good to meet you!

1. Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – July 10, 2011 « Celiac Kitchen Witch - 10. Jul, 2011

[...] [...]

2. Fox in the Kitchen – Lemon Cashew Frosting and a note about Green Smoothies - 30. Aug, 2011

[...] self proclaimed “Smoothie Queen” – Heather of Gluten Free Cat. She wrote about a Green Smoothie she had made with her favourite sugar-free vanilla flavoured coconut milk. Her enthusiasm and [...]

3. Fox in the Kitchen – Must Make It Mondays - 08. Sep, 2011

[...] proclaimed “Smoothie Queen” – Heather of Gluten Free Cat. She wrote about a Green Smoothie she had made with her favourite sugar-free vanilla flavoured coconut milk. Her enthusiasm [...]