GF Recipes

Raw Apple Carrot Bread (and my new toy!)

19 Comments 07 July 2011

Raw Apple Carrot Bread (and my new toy!)

It feels like Christmas in our home, because my new toy finally arrived!  I’ve been pining for this kitchen appliance since April in the Raw, but going to Pure Food and Wine in New York City finally pushed me over the edge.  Life in my kitchen just could not go on until I could make raw meals like this.

Or this incredible raw pizza made by my friend Diane for our Raw Food Potluck.

Yes, both of these meals are raw, but they required a good dehydrator to create the raw taco shells and pizza crusts.  And I finally have one!  The husband laughs that it’s called the Excalibur 3500.

Well, I’ve been dehydrating like a crazy woman the last few days, and I’ve learned a lot of lessons.  One being, don’t start a recipe at 7:00 in the evening that requires 8-10 hours of dehydrating.  Getting up twice in the middle of the night to check the zucchini wraps was not fun.

But eating them filled with guacamole and veggies the next day sure was!

(Zucchini-Flax Wrap recipe from The Art of Raw Living Food)

I made my first batch of raw bread, and it’s really delicious.  And it blows my mind that this bread is made with organic fruit and veggies, flaxseed meal, flaxseed oil, and a little salt.  I think you’ll enjoy the hint of sweetness in this savory bread.  And it’s so easy to make.

Mix all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until the dough is smooth and creamy.

Using an ice cream scoop, place 4 scoops of bread dough on Paraflexx-lined dehydrator trays, and spread the dough to form the shape of a slice of bread.

Dehydrate, and you’ll have a stack of bread slices much bigger than this one.  We had a nice stack of 11 slices of bread to start with, but they went rather quickly.

Raw Apple Carrot Bread
2 c. baby carrots
1 c. spinach, packed
1 organic apple
½ c. Bob’s Red Mill Organic Flaxseed Meal
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. flaxseed oil
1/3 c. water

1.  Place all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth and creamy.

2.  Using an ice cream scoop, place 4 scoops of bread dough on Paraflexx-lined dehydrator trays.

3.  Spread the dough with a spatula and form the shape of a slice of bread.

4.  Repeat until you’re out of dough.

5.  Dehydrate at 115 for 3 hours.

6.  Turn the bread slices over and dehydrate for another 3 hours.  Keep turning until the slices are dry on both sides, yet still pliable.

Yields 10-12 slices of bread

The maiden sandwich with almond cheese, lettuce, yellow peppers, tomato, and zucchini

Not only was this sandwich delicious, but it held together, and best of all, it was a veggie sandwich on veggie bread.  How much healthier can a sandwich be?

And so pretty!

What are your favorite veggie sandwich fillings?

Have you ever made raw bread?  I’d love to try your recipes!

1. I love my dehydrator – I have had it for just over a year, and I have used it a lot – at this point, for everyday eating, I prefer raw bread to regular gluten-free bread, mainly because the really good gluten-free breads all have some amount of white starch in them (which is what makes them good, you know?). When it is kale season again, you will love making kale chips too :)

The last six months have really rocked my food world. And I have bloggers like you to thank for opening my eyes to the wonderful world of vegan/raw foods. I’m still stunned at how easy it was to make delicious bread.

2. charles Luce says:

Having a dehydrator is one of life’s great pleasures. I use mine mostly for wild mushrooms, but it is super for berries too. In fact, if you half-dehydrate strawberries, they’re superlative in pies and “buckles”. I’ve put a recipe on my blog: http://myceliaglutenfree.blogspot.com/

Thanks for commenting, Charles. I just checked out your site, and your mushroom “blanco y negro” looks delicioso! Thanks for the strawberry tip. My mind is spinning with the possibilities!

3. Rebecca @ApplesToApple says:

That bread looks delicious! Dehydrators are the best. Such a good way to save produce from going bad, and also to use up pulp from juices. I need to start making breads and crackers… I usually just fill my Excalibur up with granola (check out Choosing Raw’s granola recipe… So good). I usually eat the frozen gluten-free bread… I’m lazy. But I’m going to try this recipe this weekend!

I will definitely check out Gena’s granola recipe. I love her site! Let me know how you like the bread. So good to meet you on Twitter, Rebecca!

4. Meagan says:

This sounds great! Reminds me of Lydia’s Organic crackers. I need some flaxseed and I am good to go! I am excited because I just discovered the oven in my summer house can go down to 100 degrees! Meaning I can make RAW dehydrated goodies!!

Wow! I’ve never heard of an oven that goes so low. What a blessing! So glad you stopped by, Meagan. Time for me to investigate Mutritious Nuffins (too cute)!

5. Maggie says:

Yay for dehydrators! I can’t WAIT to try this recipe. I got mine about 2 weeks ago and I think I’ve used it every day. I have yet to follow a recipe, I’ve just been doing kale, sweet potatoes, and soaked nuts. I think it’s time to try a recipe, your sandwich looks too good! Thanks :)

I’m so happy for you!!! The beauty of the dehydrator is that EVERYTHING I put in it tastes good, because I love the ingredients. I did soaked buckwheat today to make cereal and then we had veggie burgers for dinner. Like you, this thing is humming away all the time! Have fun!!

6. Liz says:

Yum! That looks so good right now and it’s makin me huuuungry! :)

7. Nadya says:

Love these – will be fun to try them! I don’t have the cookbook with the zucchini flax wrap recipe, but found this one on-line http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=969032

The inclusion of Italian seasoning in this one made me think of using some fresh basil (which is also abundant right now)
    My daughter’s best friend planted zucchini, & *forgot* she doesn’t really like it, so I should have a good source!

Thanks for sharing that recipe, Nadya. It is SO similar to the recipe that I used. So good!! Oh, and enjoy all of that zucchini. Fresh zucchini from the garden is a beautiful thing. And maybe you can bake a loaf of zucchini bread for your daughter’s friend to turn that dislike around. :)

8. I am inspired! I have onion bread in at the moment, but this green thinly sliced bread looks yum. Thanks for the recipe! Elaine

Elaine, thank you so much for commenting! I am just finishing up a 21 day raw food cleanse, and I just checked out your site and am drooling!!! I’ll be spending a lot of time there this weekend!

1. Carrot Raisin Salad with Lemon & Garlic « Daily Bites - 08. Jul, 2011

[…] Raw Carrot Apple Bread from Gluten-Free Cat  […]

2. Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – July 10, 2011 « Celiac Kitchen Witch - 10. Jul, 2011

[…] […]

3. Guest Post! A Lunchbox from Valerie | Gluten-Free Cat - 26. Jul, 2011

[…] last few months, Heather has been experimenting with more raw and vegan foods (how good does her raw bread look?) and purchased a dehydrator, so today I am sharing a mostly raw lunchbox, that includes two […]