GF Recipes

Watermelon Jalapeno Love Salad

16 Comments 11 July 2011

Watermelon Jalapeno Love Salad

Over the weekend, the Husband and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary. Neither one of us can believe that it has been 17 years, mostly because we don’t feel old enough to have been married for that long. But we’ve reached that point where it feels like we’ve always been together.  We can’t even imagine what life would have been like had the Boy not been pushed into my dorm room by an encouraging friend 22 years ago.

Our anniversary celebration definitely inspired this sweet and spicy Watermelon Jalapeno Love Salad.  It is also my submission to the July edition of No Crouton’s Required where Lisa of Lisa’s Kitchen challenged us to come up with a soup or salad using peppers.

I love this salad because it’s summery, light, raw, and it explodes with flavor.  One moment you’re enjoying the sweetness of marinated watermelon, and the next your head fills with the heat of fresh jalapeno.  Sweet and spicy, creamy and crunchy, it’s about extremes.  It’s love in a salad.

Watermelon Jalapeno Love Salad

• 1 T. Raw Agave Nectar
  • 1 T. Olive Oil
  • 1 T. Red Wine Vinegar
  • Juice of 1 Lemon
  • 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
  • 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
  • 1/2 Seedless Watermelon
  • 6 c. Baby Arugula
  • 2 Avocados, sliced
  • 2 Jalapeno Peppers, slices thinly and seeded

1.  Place agave nectar, olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and chili powder in a mason jar.  Shake to mix.

2.  Slice watermelon into 1 inch slices.  Press a heart-shaped cookie cutter into the watermelon slices.

3. Place heart-shaped watermelon pieces in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over the top.  Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

4.  Wash the arugula and divide it between 6 individual salad plates.

5.  Place two watermelon hearts, avocado slices, and 4-6 jalapeno slices on each plate.  Drizzle with the remaining marinade.

Serves 6

Not only is this salad delicious, but it’s fun to make.

Fun for now

Fun for later

Freeze the leftover watermelon for smoothies.  (And a few extra hearts for a frozen treat when you have the munchies.)

Marcy says, “Happy Anniversary to my non-furry people.”

(“By the way, I do NOT approve of your new vegan recipes.  And I think we have different definitions of ‘raw food’.”)

Other posts you might enjoy:

This recipe is linked to:

1. Lauren says:

Love this salad and happy anniversary. Time flies we’re at 13 years and I’m not sure how that happened. I love these flavor combos I had a watermelon gazpacho recently that I’m dying to recreate.

2. AnnMarie says:

Happy Anniversary! Love the blog all the time. . . you rock! ;o)

3. Alta says:

Happy Anniversary! And this salad rocks my world. Sounds so great for the 100-degree days we’ve been having for weeks.

Thank you, Alta! Yes, it’s perfect for a summer meal. Our heat index is supposed to reach 105 today and tomorrow. Good thing there’s leftover marinated hearts in the fridge. :)

4. Denise says:

Happy Anniversary! Hope you are getting settled into your new place. It was so nice having lunch with you and your Mom. Thanks for writing your blog!

Denise, thank you so much. We really enjoyed meeting you too! I’m glad you got to visit some of Nashville’s gluten-free gems while you were in town.

5. OMG, such an adorable, gorgeous salad–love it! It’s some type of time warp thing on the number of years, Heather. It’s happened to us, too. ;-) Last month was our 29th and we’re not old enough to have reached that milestone either. LOL Love that you made extra hearts for smoothies. I’ve been into watermelon big time the last few days. I had a smoothie this morning and sherbet for dessert … recipes coming soon. Oh, and I wish I had your gift for talking animals. I have to do a post from our dog’s point of view … not sure I’ll succeed. Maybe I won’t even try, but will just show cute pics of him.

xo,

Wow, Shirley! Congratulations on 29 years! So you were 10 when you got married, just like me. ;) And I can’t wait to read that post from your dog’s point of view. Just let the pictures speak. I love how expressive pets are! :)

6. Ricki says:

Happy Anniversary! I know just what you about feeling as if you’ve always been together (for us it’s 15 years and counting). Looks like such a fantastic salad, too! And you KNOW I love the talking animals, of course. ;)

7. shaheen says:

Gorgeous.

I made a Watemelon curry recnelty and would hav nicked the heart cut out idea had I seen it earlier :) Happy Anniversary to you.

1. Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – July 17, 2011 « Celiac Kitchen Witch - 17. Jul, 2011

[...] [...]

2. Watermelon Sherbet with a Bonus Milkshake | gfe--gluten free easily - 20. Jul, 2011

[...] Heather’s (Gluten-Free Cat) Watermelon Jalapeno Love Salad  [...]

3. Real Food Weekly -July 28, 2011 | Gluten Free-Dairy Free Recipes | The W.H.O.L.E. Gang | Diane Eblin - 28. Jul, 2011

[...] gluten free easily or the video on Zucchini Pancakes from Real Food Forager.  I liked that spicy Watermelon Jalapeno Love Salad from Gluten Free Cat.  There are a lot more you should check out if you missed [...]