GF Recipes

Adopt A Gluten-Free Blogger: Alexa of Lexie’s Kitchen

13 Comments 04 August 2011

Adopt A Gluten-Free Blogger:  Alexa of Lexie’s Kitchen

July was a tasty month with our trip to San Miguel, the purchase of my dehydrator, making homemade pasta for the Daring Cooks’ Challenge, and the fact that summer produce just rocks.  But it was also tasty because of Adopt A Gluten-Free Blogger!  I absolutely love this monthly event hosted by Sea of Book of Yum, because it allows us to really get to know another blogger and her recipes.  I’m excited that last month I was able to adopt Alexa of Lexie’s Kitchen!

Lexie’s beautiful blog isn’t just a place to find wonderful gluten and caesin-free recipes.  Yes, I know that her recipes are amazing!  But it’s also a place to follow the story of a mother’s love and the journey that her family is taking to find health.  You can read Lexie’s inspirational story here.

I was able to meet Lexie at the Gluten and Allergen-Free Expo in Chicago last Spring.  We didn’t have long to talk, but I was so impressed with her poise and her genuine concern for others.  I knew immediately that this was a girl that I wanted to know.

I’m thinking that you’d like to hear about her amazing recipes too, right?

Since I’m in love with raw foods, I had to make Lexie’s Raw Nacho Cheese Sauce.  It was incredibly easy to make.  I’ve made several nut cheeses before, but this is by far my favorite one.  When I put a spoonful of this cashew-based cheese in the Husband’s mouth, he was astounded that it wasn’t really “cheese”!

I’ve been eating it all week on veggie sticks, spread on raw bread, and even on huevos rancheros!

Lexie just recently wrote a post called “Hold the Cheese! Jalapeno Poppers Dairy-Free”. That title immediately grabbed my attention, because I’ve been on a pepper kick this month. (Check out my posts on Watermelon Jalapeno Love Salad and Poblano Soup.)  And this poppers recipe uses Lexie’s delicious Raw Nacho Cheese Sauce!

I did modify two tiny things.  Lexie’s Jalapeno Poppers recipe calls for pancetta or bacon bits, but I made a vegan version by omitting the meat.  Lexie also grills her poppers, but our grill is currently unavailable, so I popped these vegan poppers in the oven.

And they popped out cheesy, creamy, and delightfully spicy!

It was an honor to have a chance to adopt Lexie.  I hope you’ll head over to her blog and enjoy the recipes and the stories that she has to share.

1. Kirsten says:

So jealous that you got to meet Lexie!! She rocks. :) Great job on the recipe. :)

2. Alta says:

Great adoption! Those dairy-free poppers look so good. I’m going to have to cehck them out!

3. Maggie says:

Yum! I’m addicted to the raw food thing too! I will definitely try this out. We had some AMAZING nut cheeses at Pure in NYC. Totally inspired. I can’t wait to try this. Nice post :)

4. Dinnae says:

My dh is gluten sensitive (which is why I’m doing the Adopting), but my mum is lactose intolerant as WELL as gluten sensitive, so I can’t wait to try this one on her! Love your pics, those poppers look delish!

5. Lexie is one of my most favorite bloggers on the planet! She is kind, innovative, generous to a fault, and sweet as can be. I’m heading right over to her blog to see her recipe for the Jalapena Poppers. And I love how easy they were to veganize! Thanks for sharing!

6. Lexie is a doll and sooo creative! I can’t believe I haven’t tried her nacho sauce yet. I have a feeling it will rid me of all my “no cheese” angst. And great job on the poppers, too. :-) You certainly have had an amazing food month, my dear!

xo,

There are a lot of great nut cheese recipes out there, but THIS is my absolute favorite. You MUST try it, Shirley! Everyone that I’ve shared it with is stunned with how delicious it is. And yes, 200% percent DOLL!!!

7. Lexie says:

Goodness! I just saw this post. I am so not on Twitter and finally checked it today to see that you had adopted me! So tickled. Thank you. Your pics are mouthwatering :) You are much too kind with your words. I can’t believe a whole summer has gone by since GFAF and I really wish we’d had more time to visit. Nothing like a family emergency to bring things to a screeching halt. After Saturday night I was pretty much checked out. I hope we end up in the same place at the same time again. xoxo

1. Adopt a Gluten-free Blogger July 2011 Roundup | Book of Yum - 22. Aug, 2011

[...] the Gluten-free Cat adopted Alexa of Lexie’s Kitchen and made her Raw Nacho Cheese Sauce and her Dairy Free Jalapeno [...]