It’s time for breakfast! One meal of the day that I will never skip is breakfast. I love it so much that I usually have my breakfast for the next day planned before my head hits the pillow the night before. When we traveled to San Miguel I brought my packets of Quinoa Breakfast on the Go just in case I couldn’t find gluten-free breakfast options. But when we were offered fresh fruit and huevos rancheros every morning there was no need for my breakfast staple!
When you’re served huevos rancheros that look like this
with fresh fruit
on a table in Mexico that looks like this
there’s bound to be a little dissatisfaction with the morning smoothie upon returning home.
I’ve been attempting to recreate a few of my favorite dishes from our trip to San Miguel. Recreation challenge part 1 was a delicious poblano soup. And part 2 was huevos rancheros. I did have the extra challenge of lightening up the dish, so you won’t find any bacon garnish, and I’ve substituted egg whites for the second egg. Now if I could only replicate that incredible homemade salsa…
Huevos Rancheros – Lightened and Dairy-Free
by Heather (inspired by my favorite cooks in San Miguel)
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1-2 corn tortillas
- avocado slices
1. Lightly coat a small fry pan with cooking spray and bring to medium heat.
2. Fry one whole egg and egg whites flipping gently once.
3. Serve atop a warmed corn tortilla or two.
4. Spoon your favorite salsa on top and add slices of fresh avocado.
How about an extra dose of protein with some black beans?
Quick, healthy, and full of flavor. Enjoy!
This recipe is linked to:
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker