Have you had your kale lately? We’ve eaten so much kale this week that I would actually believe it if you told me that I was starting to turn green! We’ve been blending kale in smoothies and juicing it in our new juicer. But I’ve also been loving marinated kale salads. Drizzling chopped kale with lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and an herb of your choice makes a delicious and healthy salad with amazing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
This salad has a refreshing crunch with the addition of cucumbers. The protein in kale on its own is 2.2 grams per cup, but I boosted the protein content of this salad by adding garbanzo beans. And who doesn’t love to eat a pretty salad?
Colorful Kale Salad
- 3 c. finely sliced kale leaves, chiffonade cut
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 c. finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 c. parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme leaves
- 3 T. red wine vinegar
- 1 T. olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 small can sliced black olives
1. Chiffonade kale by rolling the leaves into a tight bundle. Cut bundled leaves in thin slices, which will open into pretty ribbons.
2. Chop all other vegetables and combine them with the kale ribbons.
3. Add all remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
4. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Have you eaten your kale lately?
How do you like to prepare it?
What is your favorite raw green?
This recipe is linked to:
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love Link Party hosted by Lisa of Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery
- Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays hosted by Rebecca Jean of Midnight Maniac