It’s September, and it’s still freakin’ HOT in the south. I’m a little tired of high 90’s outside and over air-conditioned buildings. I’m sure we’ll only have a few more weeks of this, but that’s what I said a few weeks ago.
So we’ve been having a lot of smoothies for dinner and cold salads for lunch. This cold salad was inspired by my longing for the warm curry dishes of the fall, and the tropical taste of mango. Plus the fact that I just can’t get enough kale lately.
The curry is powerful in this recipe, so feel free to add a little less if you’re not a curry freak like I am. One teaspoon instead of two might be just perfect for you. Do what your mother told you not to do. Play with your food.
Curried Quinoa Mango Kale Salad
- 1 c. quinoa
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 2 c. red kale, chiffonade
- 1 cucumber, seeded, peeled, and finely chopped
- 1 c. mango, cubed
- 1/3 c. minced parsley
- 2 tsp. curry
- 1/2 tsp. tumeric
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Soak the quinoa in water for 15 minutes, drain, and rinse to wash away the bitterness of the saponin.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa to a boil in 1 1/2 cups of water. Reduce heat to low and cover for 10 minutes.
3. Cut red kale chiffonade style, and add it to the quinoa. Stir in curry and tumeric. Recover for 5 more minutes. Then remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and let it cool.
4. Once the quinoa has cooled, add balsamic vinegar, cucumbers, parsley, and salt to taste.
Serves 4 as an entree or 6 as a side.
This recipe is linked to:
- Seasonal Sundays hosted by Brittany of Real Sustenance.
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker