GF Recipes

Sunflower Seed Hummus

20 Comments 17 September 2011

Sunflower Seed Hummus

Did you know that you can make hummus with sunflower seeds?  I didn’t either until I learned about it from my friend Dallas.  Dallas is one of my most inspiring friends when it comes to healthy eating.  She is a vegetarian, and although she isn’t gluten-free, much of her diet is naturally gluten-free, because she sticks to whole foods.  Dallas also hosts our Raw Foods Potlucks each month.  If you haven’t checked out this post on past Raw Foods Potlucks, take a look back.

But back to hummus.  I love hummus.  I make a big batch of it almost every weekend, and I pack it in my lunchbox throughout the week for an afternoon snack.  One scoop of hummus covered with an assortment of veggies is a quick, easy, healthy snack that I can enjoy while working at my desk.  I adore this sunflower seed hummus, because it’s flavorful, satisfying, and it has crunchy bits of sunflower seeds all throughout.  And I love Dallas’ other idea to use olive juice to flavor the hummus instead of water.  I like my hummus thick, but you can add more liquid for a smoother hummus.

Sunflower Seed Hummus

Inspired by Dallas

• 2 cans of garbanzo beans
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1 c. sunflower seeds
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/4 to 1/3 c. olive juice or water

1.  Drain garbanzo beans and rinse well.

2.  Place garlic cloves in the food processor and process until finely minced.

3.  Add sunflower seeds and process roughly until they reach meal consistency.

4.  Add drained garbanzo and all remaining ingredients.  Process until it reaches desired consistency.  This hummus will be thick because of the sunflower seeds.  Feel free to add more olive juice or water if you want a smoother hummus.

5.  Spoon into a bowl and garnish with sunflower seeds.

Serve hummus with gluten-free crackers, sliced cucumbers, carrot and celery sticks, or your favorite raw bread.

My other hummus recipes that you might enjoy:

Do you have inspiring food friends?  Who are they, and why do they inspire you?

This recipe is linked to:

1. Wow, I had no idea you had so many hummus recipes, Heather! Cool. And this one looks and sound delish. :-) So sunflower seeds basically take the place of the tahini? Sort of like some folks use sunflower seeds in place of pine nuts for pesto? ;-) They offer a lower cost, still tasty, but slightly different option for both recipes! :-)

I didn’t think about lower cost, but you’re right! I’ve never made pesto with sunflower seeds, but I’ve tried walnuts and loved the result. I must try it!

2. Maggie says:

Oh I can’t wait to try this! And your many hummus recipes :) I’m a dip girl too.

3. I make it with sunbutter! In my mind, hummus needs to be creamy, and I’m very picky 5 year old about that. Love your list of other hummus recipes. I can’t wait to try the parsley version!

4. Ricki says:

Sounds great! I was thinking along the same lines of Cheryl, that I’d probably process the seeds until they became butter so my hummus would be ultra-creamy. But I bet the flavor they add is wonderful in this dip. :) Thanks so much for submitting it to WW this week!

5. Lannae says:

Hey Heather, mmm, have you had the cashew hummus at Wild Cow? Yum! I love the added nutty flavor! Me and my friends inhaled the nutty hummus.

Also, sorry you can’t make the NFB Potluck. I make a lot of the spicy peanut sauce and freeze it, and I always have rice noodles in house, so I can make the dish again. If it goes over well with the other bloggers, I well likely bring my peanut sauce again to another event, so you can try it!

Thanks for posting gluten free recipes! As I have aged, it seems I have grown into a wheat intolerance. I can’t eat a big bowl of wheat pasta anymore without some some symptoms. Thank goodness I was never a bread person, but pasta… yum.

At Lazzaroli’s they make a spelt pasta. He claims some clients with wheat allergies and gluten allergies can tolerate spelt pasta. Is that true? If so, maybe my days of big bowls of pasta are back!

What??? Cashew hummus at Wild Cow? I have to try it!
      I know, I was so disappointed not to be able to make it to NFB Potluck. Are you going to the forum next weekend? I’m excited about it!
      Yikes! Spelt is NOT gluten-free, so I would steer clear. Shirley of GFEasily did a post about it a few years back. http://glutenfreeeasily.com/tag/spelt/ But there are some awesome gf pastas out there, so your pasta days are not over! :) I love quinoa pasta because of the nuttiness, but if you want something that tastes like the real deal try Bionaturae. http://www.bionaturae.com/gluten-free-pasta.html Be careful, they have two lines. Only the pink packages are gf.
      See you soon!

6. Awesome Dawson says:

You can also substitute sesame oil for the olive all…the same amount or more to taste…and get a super creamy hummus.

7. christine says:

I guess I’m greedy, I often make mine with tahini and then add the sunflower seeds for some crunch! If you roast the sunflower seeds for a minute in the microwave, you get an even nuttier flavour – no good for raw foodies, though:(

8. Haley says:

What an interesting spin on hummus! I’m not sure how I feel about this yet… I may have to try it out for myself and decide ;)

Thanks for posting such a fun recipe!

9. Vita says:

Thank you for sharing this recipe.
    I like to make different flavors with this beans.
    I soak them over night, then boil for short period of time (3-5 min), cook, drain, after to the wizz with squashed garlic, little bit of poppy seeds,sunflower first pressed oil and some cool liquid from boiled beans.
    Very tasty.
    Also, at the another dip you can add garlic and parsley instead poppy seeds and lemon zest. :)

10. Kat says:

I absolutely LOVE your hummus recipes. The parsley one is such a good idea and this is great too. But you should removed the ‘raw’ label next to them on your recipe page. It is NOT raw, you used garbanzo beans, and even if it is canned, it is still COOKED…or change the whole thing to uncanned, uncooked, sprouted beans…

You are 100% correct, Kat! (Love your name by the way!) I labeled the hummus as “raw” eons ago before I truly understood raw. And I was just recently noticing that error and hadn’t yet made it a priority to fix it. Thanks for giving me the incentive to get in there and clean up the recipe page! Glad you stopped by. I’m off to explore your site!

1. Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – September 18, 2011 « Celiac Kitchen Witch - 18. Sep, 2011

[...] [...]