GF Recipes

Sushi, Vegetarian Style

15 Comments 22 November 2011

Sushi, Vegetarian Style

I’ve always wanted to make homemade sushi.  I even bought this simple little sushi-rolling kitfor $4.50 last summer.  But something held me back.  Maybe it was the fact that I’m a complete klutz in the kitchen.  Maybe it’s because on a patience scale of 1-10, I’m a 2. Maybe it was the thought of working with raw fish.

So my pretty little bamboo mat sat in a kitchen drawer waiting for me.

Last week I stumbled upon a Sushi-Making Tutorial at Penniless Parenting as I was checking out the delicious entries for Lunchbox Love at Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery.  How cool would it be to open your lunchbox and find cute little sushi rolls handmade by you?  And sushi can be so healthy when you start with ingredients like these.

Fresh mango, cucumber, cilantro, carrots, green onions

Avocado, hot red pepper, and the optional but oh so delicious organic cream cheese

I am not even going to attempt to teach you how to make sushi.  But you can go to Penniless Parenting and read an amazing step-by-step sushi rolling tutorial complete with pictures and even watch a video if you’re still a little nervous.

I was so excited to give it a whirl after watching the video!  Surely, I could do this.

(Even though my first roll had the mark of a newbie with the nori spiral, I’d call it a success!)

My next roll was even better than the first.

We thoroughly enjoyed this vegetarian sushi.  But the magical touch that put it over the top was the spicy mayo.  With two simple ingredients, I created a vegan spicy mayo that I’ll be making again and again.

Vegan Spicy Mayo

1.  Stir Vegenaise and Cholula Hot Sauce together.

2.  Taste and add more Cholula Hot Sauce for more spice or more Vegenaise for less.

Use spicy mayo for sushi, sandwiches, wraps, or raw vegetables.

Are you ready to try something new?  If I can do it, so can you.

Happy rolling, happy dipping, and happy Thanksgiving!

Sushi-making supplies:

Have you ever tried making sushi?
This recipe is linked to:

1. My husband and I used to make sushi all of the time. My favorite was cucumber and avocado. We also made tuna salad sushi rolls (this was actually really good, despite how odd it may seem).

We are grain-free now though, so no more sushi. But I have heard of a sushi recipe using crumbled cauliflower in place of rice. The idea of that made my husband wrinkle his nose. It might be good though, you never know! Better than no sushi at all maybe :)

Your sushi looks great. It makes me miss sushi! Enjoy some for me! :)

Heather, I went to a Raw Foods Potluck today, and I made this sushi with a cauliflower/cashew rice. It was actually easier than using rice as it was stickier. :) But it had a sweet taste because of the cashews. Give it a try thought. It was a big hit! 1 cup of cauliflower and 1 cup of cashews in the food processor.

2. I love making sushi at home. Once I moved past the intimidation factor it really is quite easy. My sister taught me so that helped too! Now we even have sushi parties where every one brings a filling and we all roll different varieties. Very fun!

3. Torwen says:

If these are your first sushi, I must say, not bad at all! I never tried mango in sushi but it looks so delicious I have to try :) Thanks, you were inspirational.

@Heather: you could try quinoa or amaranth; they are not really grains (at least not from the grass family). Or coarsely mashed sweet potatoes if cauliflower is not to your (husband’s) liking :)

Thanks, Torwen! I tried my hand at it again this weekend and did even better. I can see why sushi is an art form. I definitely don’t have the technique down yet, but I’m willing to keep working on it! And I tried a grain-free cauliflower/cashew rice sushi today, and it was wonderful! Maybe next time I’ll try some sweet potatoes. I bet the color would be beautiful!

4. Emma Shawn says:

Mango and avocado? It sounds unique, I haven’t encountered it, as I see it looks great. Anyway, I love sushi but you did it in a different way, and it was amazing.

5. This looks great! And I love the idea of a Sushi Making party. I’ve been trying to come up with a good idea for New Years and I think I’ve now hit on it! I would love the recipe (or a link) for the cauliflower cashew rice?!? Pretty please!

Ellen, it was so easy to do grain-free sushi! 1 cup of cauliflower and 1 cup of cashews in the food processor until it’s the size of rice pieces. I actually tripled the recipe to make a lot of rolls for a raw foods party, and it was just fine in my jumbo Cuisinart.

New Years Sushi Party sounds like so much fun!!!

6. Debi says:

I love that mango, avocado and cilantro combo, Heather! Now, I’m hungry for sushi. :D

7. dia says:

About 15 years ago a galfriend w/ all the sushi tools & I had a wonderful sushi / nori roll making party! What fun it was. And mango does sound yummy.
    Tamari and Bragg’s liquid animos are GF options for dipping – I like a little bowl of sesame seeds, thin Ginger slices, & of course wasabe!

8. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!