GF Recipes

Chocolate Zucchini Wake Up Smoothie

21 Comments 30 January 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Wake Up Smoothie

When it’s freezing outside, it’s hard to wake up in the morning and want to drink something cold for breakfast.  After ripping my body out of the warm bed, all I want is a creamy bowl of oatmeal and a piping hot cup of coffee.  But one way to make sure that I eat more produce is to pack my morning smoothie with fruits and veggies.  (And then I can follow it with my cup of joe!)

I’ve been putting greens in my smoothies for a while now, but for the first time, I tried adding zucchini.  I loved it so much that I’ve had this same smoothie every morning for a week.  It’s not the zucchini that keeps me coming back for more, because I can’t even taste the squash.  It’s the kick of the spices, and of course the chocolate, that gives me a good morning jolt.

Just a few dashes of cayenne pepper and cinnamon transforms this cold smoothie into a morning kick in the pjs.  Yowza!  I’m awake!  Plus, the coconut milk, banana, and soft zucchini squash provide a delightfully creamy texture.

Chocolate Zucchini Wake Up Smoothie

• 1 c. So Delicious Organic Coconut Milk, Unsweetened
  • 1/2 T. flaxseed oil
  • 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 1 zucchini, sliced
  • 1/2 c. frozen mixed berries
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1 dash cayenne pepper
  • 2 dashes cinnamon
  • 1/2 T. cocoa powder (optional)

1.  Toss all ingredients into the blender in the order listed above.

2.  Blend and serve immediately.

Serves 1

If you don’t have a rich chocolatey protein powder like Energy First, consider adding a half tablespoon of cocoa powder.

Other smoothie recipes you may enjoy:

This recipe is linked to:

Reader questions:

• What’s your favorite sweet and spicy combination?
  • What is your smoothie secret ingredient?
  • Do you add spices to your smoothies?  What’s your favorite?

1. Alisa says:

Hmm, zucchini? Really? I’ll think about it because I trust your recipes, but still don’t know if I could go there.

I adore (frosty-like) smoothies year round, but end up chasing them with hot tea this time of year :)

2. Debi says:

I don’t think I’ve ever tried zucchini in my smoothies. I do love my raw cacao powder in there with all the fruits and veggies. :D I just can’t do cayenne with chocolate. It doesn’t taste right to me, but i do love using garam masala in the smoothies for a nice kick.

3. Debbie says:

I am SO glad you posted this recipe! My boys are resistant to greens in their smoothies these days and I bet they would drink this.

Great idea! Debbie

4. I do like my hot beverages in the winter, but I don’t usually mind a cold smoothie either. I’ve enjoyed zucchini in smoothies and raw cacao powder (I’d add both raw cacao and almond flour instead of protein powder), but never cayenne. I do add cayenne to hot healing concoctions though. Hmmm. Might have to try this recipe, Heather–thanks!

Thank you for sharing your protein solution! It’s quite timely too. I’ve been making almond milk lately and am left with a delightful almond meal. I’ve been making raw cookies and wraps with it. But it would be perfect in a smoothie! You are the BEST, Shirley!!

5. Stephanie says:

I love the idea of zucchini in a smoothie! Also adoring the color of that smoothie!

Lately, I am a huge fan of sweet potato chocolate green smoothies (w/ cinnamon and cayenne). I also like those spices in DF Mexican hot cocoa. I’m very excited to try this recipe!

6. dia says:

I’ve been adding baked winter squash or pumpkin from “my” farmers/ CSA share all winter : coconut milk kefir, squash, and frozen local blueberries, whirred in my blender. I do sometimes add some carob powder, the cacao Sounds lovely!
    I soak a Tbsp chia seeds overnight, (usually in fruity tea) and add those, & garam masala., or 5 spice powder, sometimes some hemp.seeds for more protein.
    I might use zucchini in summer, but try to stick w/ in season veggies. I usually bake a squash or 2 each week …. my latest “find” is pumpkin people quinoa muffins ….mmmm! Ill post the recipe over at the vale!

Garam masala in a smoothie??? I love that idea! I think the Husband would freak, but I’m definitely going to give that a shot. I haven’t quite found the right combination for winter squash smoothies. Maybe that’s what I’ve been missing!

7. dia says:

Tee hee – that should be pumpkin PIE quinoa muffins (gloriously GF & vegan!)

8. How fantastic. A shake with raw zucchini. I bet it’s delicious. What would you sub in for protein powder? Any suggestions? Or would you just put in some yogurt?

Well, I’m not eating dairy, but that would make a delicious addition. I’d add few more nuts, nut butter, or hemp seeds to boost the protein content if you don’t use a protein powder. I find that smoothies don’t keep me satisfied long enough if I don’t use the powders.

9. Thanks Heather. We do use chia or nut butters, so we’ll try that.

10. Kris Nash says:

Just stumbled across your site and am going to try your zucchini shake as soon as I write this. I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and decided I will be very proactive with this, deciding becoming gluten free will be my first major step. Have been considering this for months but now have a reason. Do you have any info as the gluten free diet has on RA. Love your site so far. What was your reason for becoming gluten free and how long have you been so? Thanks Kris Nash

Kris, I’m so sorry for your diagnosis, and I really hope your new gf diet is helping. I actually don’t have any information to share about the connection between RA and a gf diet with you. But I’m definitely going to google it out of curiosity! Let me know if it’s helping.

Please see my “About the GFC” page as to why I am now gluten-free. http://www.glutenfreecat.com/?page_id=2 I had no idea I needed to be gluten-free until I was tested. I never knew I could feel so good until I cut gluten out of my diet.

1. Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup – February 5, 2012 « Celiac Kitchen Witch - 05. Feb, 2012

[...] [...]

2. Friday Foodie Fix Cucumber Gluten Free Recipes | The WHOLE Gang - 06. Jul, 2012

[...] Gluten Free Cat shared Chocolate Zucchini Wake Up Smoothie [...]