When it’s freezing outside, it’s hard to wake up in the morning and want to drink something cold for breakfast. After ripping my body out of the warm bed, all I want is a creamy bowl of oatmeal and a piping hot cup of coffee. But one way to make sure that I eat more produce is to pack my morning smoothie with fruits and veggies. (And then I can follow it with my cup of joe!)
I’ve been putting greens in my smoothies for a while now, but for the first time, I tried adding zucchini. I loved it so much that I’ve had this same smoothie every morning for a week. It’s not the zucchini that keeps me coming back for more, because I can’t even taste the squash. It’s the kick of the spices, and of course the chocolate, that gives me a good morning jolt.
Just a few dashes of cayenne pepper and cinnamon transforms this cold smoothie into a morning kick in the pjs. Yowza! I’m awake! Plus, the coconut milk, banana, and soft zucchini squash provide a delightfully creamy texture.
Chocolate Zucchini Wake Up Smoothie
- 1 c. So Delicious Organic Coconut Milk, Unsweetened
- 1/2 T. flaxseed oil
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 c. frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 dashes cinnamon
- 1/2 T. cocoa powder (optional)
1. Toss all ingredients into the blender in the order listed above.
2. Blend and serve immediately.
If you don’t have a rich chocolatey protein powder like Energy First, consider adding a half tablespoon of cocoa powder.
Other smoothie recipes you may enjoy:
- Berry Cardamom Smoothie
- Carrot Beet Power Juice
- Cherry Carob Smoothie
- Green Mango Coconut Smoothie
- Island Paradise Smoothie
- Orange Julius
This recipe is linked to:
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Whole Foods Wednesdays hosted by France of Beyond the Peel
- Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love hosted by Lisa of Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery
- Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki of Diet, Dessert & Dogs
- Allergy Friendly Friday hosted by Cybele Pascal
- Friday Foodie Fix hosted by Diane of The Whole Gang
- What’s your favorite sweet and spicy combination?
- What is your smoothie secret ingredient?
- Do you add spices to your smoothies? What’s your favorite?