GF Recipes

Raw Food Potluck Does Brunch!

22 Comments 18 February 2012

Raw Food Potluck Does Brunch!

Once a month my raw foods friends and I get together for a potluck.  Each potluck has a theme.  We’ve done Italian, Mexican, Asian, and more.  But this time we chose a theme that’s near and dear to my heart.  Brunch!  Made with all raw foods.  Pancakes, scrambled “eggs” and “bacon”, crepes…all raw.  Can you imagine?

(Okay, it was all raw except for the champagne that went into our mimosas.  But mimosas made with freshly squeezed organic oranges were the perfect start to our raw foods brunch!  But everything else was truly raw, promise!)

Many of our recipes came from my newest favorite raw recipe book Everyday Raw.  Others were adaptations of some of our favorite raw chefs.  And of course, we couldn’t have a raw foods potluck without something completely original and wowing from Diane!

I contributed Blueberry Pancakes, which I adapted from Everyday Raw.  Mostly pureed soaked nuts, fruit, and delicious maple syrup went into these beauties before putting them in the dehydrator.

About 30 hours later, they looked like this.

I didn’t flip the pancakes as it kept the center nice and moist.

These pancakes were delicious plain.

And drizzled with extra maple syrup.

Raw Blueberry Pancakes

adapted from Matthew Kenney’s Everyday Raw

• 1 pint fresh blueberries
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 2 c. pecans, soaked 8-12 hours
  • 2 c. almonds, soaked 12 hours
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 2 c. maple syrup

1.  Blend or food process all ingredients except for the blueberries.  Then fold the blueberries into the batter.

2.  Using an ice cream scoop, spread into 4-inch rounds on dehydrator Tefflex sheets.

3.  Dehydrate for 30-40 hours at 115.

4.  Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.

Makes 25-30 pancakes

Every brunch needs bacon and eggs, including our raw brunch.  So Dallas made her version of Ani Phyo’s incredible Spanish Breakfast Scramble.  Not only was it gorgeous, but it tasted amazing.

You can find her recipe here, but I highly recommend getting your own copy of Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen which contains this Spanish Breakfast Scramble as well as host of other incredible raw breakfasts including more scrambles, cereals, puddings, pancakes, syrups, and butters.

Dallas also experimented with two types of “bacon”.  This one made from eggplant had fantastic spicy cayenne kick.  Recipe here.

But the other “bacon” made from Young Thai Coconut was my favorite.  Unbelievably, this tasted exactly like bacon!  But it took a lot of work to make.  Hacking into a coconut is not an easy task, and this was the yield.

But it was incredibly delicious.  And we’re really glad Dallas loves us enough to make us that small handful of bacon!

Want to see a pro make this bacon?  Check out this YouTube video.  (Markus makes it looks really easy.)

And as usual, Diane blew us away with her Raw Fruit Crepes.  Stuffed with cashew cream and fruit, and drizzled with two different kinds of berry sauces, these crepes were raw heaven.

Heaven, I tell you.

Thank you, Diane for sharing your recipe with us!

Raw Fruit Crepes

by Diane

Crepe Ingredients:

• 4 bananas
  • 1 lemon, juice
  • 1/2 c. ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 c. whole flaxseed
  • 1/4 c. raw chocolate
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon

Filling Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 c. cashews
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 3 T. coconut oil
  • 2 T. agave nectar or honey
  • 1 vanilla bean (or 1 T. vanilla)
  • 1/4 tsp. celtic salt

Sauce Ingredients:

• 1/2 c. blueberries
  • 2 drops vanilla stevia
  • 1/4 c. local honey
  • water as needed

1.  Place bananas, flax, chocolate, and cinnamon in a food processor.  Add lemon juice and process until it becomes liquid.

2.  Pour into 5-inch rounds about 1/8-inch thick.

3.  Dehydrate overnight at 115.  Don’t over dry as you want them to be flexible.

4.  Assemble crepes with cashew filling, strawberries, bananas, and blueberries.

5.  Puree sauce ingredients and drizzle on top of the assembled crepes.

Makes 8 fruit crepes

So, what’s next for the Raw Potluck Girls?  We’re thinking Comfort Foods.  Can you make a raw version of Macaroni and Cheese?  We’re going to find out!

Other raw foods potluck posts you may enjoy:

• What comfort foods should we try to make raw?
  • What’s your favorite raw foods dish?
  • Do you have a favorite raw brunch item?
This post was shared at:

1. Diane E says:

Heather, the pictures are great!! Thank you!
    I believe champagne is considered raw :) I am looking forward to the next potluck and hopefully more participants!

2. Those pancakes look totally amazing!!! And the scramble … and the crepes … in fact, I wouldn’t turn down any of these dishes for sure. ;-)

Bravo to you all! xo,

3. Deanna says:

Wow oh wow! As the days are getting longer and warmer I’m finding myself more and more intrigued with raw again. With recipes like these, who could resist!

4. Judee says:

What a feast! I love raw food, but it takes so much work.. but your brunch looks so worth it! the Raw Fruit Crepes are calling me!

5. These look amazing, Heather! I cannot wait to try everything above.

xoxo

6. Maggie says:

You girls are amazing! It must’ve been so much fun. I’ve had raw brunch before and I think it’s my favorite way to eat raw. Heck, it’s my favorite way to eat. Period!

7. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. These look amazing! Hope to see you next week!

8. Amber says:

Hi There Heather,

Absolutely beautiful, amazing and so inspiring. Goes to show you raw can be extremely elegant and delicious. So versatile. Those crepes are killer, but I have to say, I’m loven’ those pancakes. How fun! :-)

Hugs,
    –Amber

9. Wow! These look amazing! My paleo brother would love all of these. Thanks for sharing this at allergy-free wednesdays. Hope to see you again next week!

10. Great idea to tease us and not load a picture for the Lunch Box roundup. I had to come over and see them. :) That is a gorgeous brunch. When I took a raw foods class, I was so surprised at how savory and satisfying raw foods could be.

11. Is this all one post??? So many good things ;)
    I am most excited about the pancakes.
    I just got an Excalibur dehydrator and need a good recipe to test run with a real raw recipe other than just sliced fruit.
    I think this might be it! xo

12. Im seriously excited about your raw food meetups. Thanks for sharing all of the recipes! I can’t wait to check out the other themes :-)

13. mmm! I’ve been trying to incorporate more raw recipes into our meals. I can’t wait to try those pancakes :) I would love for you to share them at my recipe party link up: https://sites.google.com/site/sugarmamabakeshop/peanut-butter-cookies

14. Stephanie says:

Hello! I just discovered your blog. If you don’t mind me asking, what type of raw food approach are you taking at the moment? I’ve seen people debating between high fat vs. 80/10/10, and many argue that eating too much fat is what causes many raw foodists to fail. I’d love to hear your thoughts about this! Thanks <3

Stephanie, I’m so glad you came over to Gluten-Free Cat! And I’m hoping that my answer doesn’t steer you away! I’m very much in the learning processes of raw foods, so I can’t really put myself in a category. Actually, I’m not really sure I ever want to put myself in a category. But I can very much understand the concern that eating too much fat on a raw foods diet can pack on the pounds. When I did my month of 100% raw foods I was surprised at just how much fat I was eating in my meals with avocado, nuts, coconut meat, and olive oil, but I actually lost about 10 pounds. I was NOT consuming handfuls of nuts between meals. I was using nuts to make nut cheeses and pates. I think some raw foodists “fail” or give up because they are hungry. They are hungry because they are only consuming fruits and veggies. And then they overdo it on nuts and over compensate because of their body’s need for more calories. I think the key is to keep a steady stream of fats in each meal so you feel satisfied. Just my 2 cents at this point in my journey.

Thanks again for stopping by and commenting, Stephanie. I hope you check back frequently. I would love to hear where you are in your journey.

15. siewlingchaw says:

what if i don’t have a dehydrator,can i use the oven ? if so,what temperature and for how long ? :)

I’ve never used an oven for a recipe that called for a dehydrator. But I’ve read that you can put your oven on the lowest setting and even crack the oven door a bit. You’d have to experiment with the length of time. Let me know how it goes!

16. Hannah says:

Holy smokes, nuts and banana and maple syrup? OH YES PLEASE.

17. SS says:

Maple syrup is not raw. It is boiled down to achieve a syrup-like consistency. Maple sap is quite watery and not as sweet as the concentrated syrup.

You are absolutely right. It’s not technically raw. But it isn’t synthetic either. It’s pure maple syrup. Of all of the amazing raw creations that we enjoyed that day, we were more focused on the joy of eating gorgeous, delicious raw food to be bothered in the least. I’m sorry you were bothered by it. I’ve always found that focusing on the good is more important than finding the one negative thing. Plus, if raw foods guru Matthew Kenney uses it I’m satisfied! ;)

18. I’m a total brunch fanatic, and these recipes look AMAZING! But I wonder–is there anything I can substitute for bananas in either the blueberry pancakes or fruit crepes recipes? I really want to make them, but bananas are a no-go for me. Thoughts?

Lee, I have never tried a banana substitute. I’m sorry! I wonder how avocado would do since it’s nice and creamy like banana. You may end up with green pancakes, but better than green eggs and ham! Ha!