Ordering appetizers at a restaurant is just plain fun. It’s part of the dining out experience. I’m not quite sure why they call them appetizers, because they actually take your appetite away. How many times have you ordered an appetizer only to find that you no longer really needed to order dinner because you were quite full? But you did order a meal, because that’s what you do when you go out for dinner. You eat dinner.
Looking back at some of my old favorite appetizers, I have no idea why I didn’t have clogged arteries in my twenties. Fried potato skins covered with melted cheese, sour cream, and bacon. A fiesta nacho mountain slathered with queso and jalapenos. And then there was the deadly Spinach Artichoke Dip. Who could have an appetite after scooping up that rich dish with tortilla chips?
Although I now try to make healthier choices when dining out, I still get a hankering for some of those old favorites. Not only can we find ways to make them gluten-free, but we can make them even healthier.
I’ve been playing with a Spinach Artichoke Dip that’s allergen-free, low fat, and filled with protein. And while there’s no cheese, it has a slightly cheesy taste. I’ve only tried it cold, but heat some up and let me know what you think!
Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans, drained
- 1 15-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 2 T. nutritional yeast
- 1 c. packed spinach leaves
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of water
1. Place garlic and spinach in the food processor and process until the spinach leaves stick to the sides of the bowl.
2. Add remaining ingredients except water and process until well combined.
3. Drizzle 1/4 – 1/2 cup of water until it reaches the desired consistency.
4. Serve with veggie sticks, gluten-free crackers or chips, or spread it on gluten-free sandwich bread.
Makes 2 cups
- What is your favorite appetizer?
- What’s the unhealthiest appetizer you crave?
- Have you ever tried to make a healthier version of a favorite?
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemake
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Whole Foods Wednesdays hosted by France of Beyond the Peel
- Allergy Free Wednesdays hosted by Tessa the Domestic Diva
- Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love hosted by Lisa of Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery
- Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki of Diet, Dessert & Dogs
- Allergy Friendly Friday hosted by Cybele Pascal
- Sugar Free Sunday hosted by Raj and Sonia of Flip Cookbook