Last week I began sharing my raw foods ah-has from my month of eating 100% raw. My first ah-ha was that pureeing whole fruit is insanely delicious, and of course incredibly good for you. I shared my Creamy Cantaloupe Smoothie made from just 3 simple ingredients. Today I have another non-dairy smoothie to share that has only 4 ingredients. I added protein powder to this smoothie for some staying power, but you can do without, and it’s just as delicious.
I’ve been training for a marathon, and I’ve found that I’m needing to cook a little more, especially the day before a long run. I can “get through” a long run fueled by raw foods, but I certainly have more energy when I eat more complex carbs like quinoa pasta or brown rice.
I’ve also found that smoothies like this Watermelon Peach Chia Smoothie are incredibly hydrating and energizing before a run and are excellent recovery meals afterwards.
One of the magical ingredients in this smoothie is the chia seed. Chia seeds have long been known to prolong hydration and help runners retain electrolytes while covering the miles, so I’ve been eating a lot of chia seeds lately. See this post to read about even more benefits from this amazing seed.
This Watermelon Peach Chia Smoothie is a delightful way to get the benefits of chia as well as whole fruits.
Watermelon Peach Chia Smoothie
- ½ seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1 c. frozen peaches
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I love Garden of Life Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein)
1. Place all in a Vitamix or blender and blend until creamy.
2. Sprinkle a few extra chia seeds on top for a crunch.
Delicious, energizing, hydrating, nutritious, and a little reminder that summer is on its way!
Other posts and recipes you may enjoy:
- Pomegranate Chia Fresca: Run Like the Tarahumara!
- Watermelon Love Salad
- Watermelon Tomato Salad
- Chocolate Zucchini Chia Pudding by Valerie of City|Life|Eats
- Creamy Cantaloupe Smoothie
- Are you a chia seed fan?
- Have you tried whole fruit smoothies yet?
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Allergy Free Wednesdays hosted by Tessa the Domestic Diva
- Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love hosted by Lisa of Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery
- Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki of Diet, Dessert & Dogs
- Allergy Friendly Friday hosted by Cybele Pascal