Yesterday I shared my fourth tip about Eating Out as a part of 10 Days of Gluten-Free, created by Linda, the Gluten-Free Homemaker. Asking the right questions can help steer the conversation in the right direction so that you know that your server and chef are ready to provide a great dining experience for you.
If you’ve just dined in a restaurant for the very first time, chances are that you’ve just put your waiter through the wringer by asking more questions than he or she has heard all day.
Let them know that you appreciated their patience, their diligence, and their dedication to serving you a delicious gluten-free meal.
1. Tip your waiter well. Above 20%.
Your waiter just served as your first line of defense. Thank him or her with more than a smile.
2. Let the manager know:
- How well the waiter answered all of your questions.
- That you are thankful for a safe meal.
- That the chef cautiously created a delicious entrée for you.
- How valuable their efforts are to the gluten-free community.
- That you will be back again to dine with them.
- That you will spread the word that Celiacs and those with gluten intolerance can dine at that restaurant safely.
3. Spread the word.
Today, diners can share their thoughts at every point in the dining experience with the entire world. Use social media to let others know about your experience. Tweet about it, and include the restaurant’s handle. Share your experience on Facebook and tag the restaurant. The more that restaurants see that their efforts are needed and appreciated, the more willing they will be to improve menu options, methods to prevent cross-contamination, and ingredient selections.
Affirm a job well done.
Now it’s time for your daily entry to win a $25 P.F. Chang’s gift card! You can leave two entries today by answering two dish questions or by answering one and letting me know in a separate comment that you followed Gluten-Free Cat on Twitter and “liked” Gluten-Free Cat’s Facebook page or that you shared this post on Twitter or Facebook.
- This giveaway is limited to U.S. residents 18 and older.
- You are allowed two entries per “10 Days of Gluten Free” blog post for a total of 20 entries on this blog.
- Enter by leaving a comment on this post (and other 10 Days of GF posts).
- The giveaway begins May 7, 2012 and ends at 11:59 pm central time on May 18, 2012.
No purchase is necessary. Odds of winning are based on the number of entries. The winner will be randomly chosen and will be contacted by email. The winner will have 48 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen.
It’s been a great first week of 10 Days of Gluten Free. I’ll see you again on Monday for Eating Out Gluten Free Tip #6.
Hungry for more gluten-free tips? Visit these 10 Days of Gluten Free bloggers:
- Getting Started – Linda @ The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Resources – Wendy @ Celiacs in the House
- Traveling – Karen @ Gluten-Free Travel Blog
- Frugal Tips – Janelle @ Gluten Freely Frugal
- Cooking – Carrie @ Ginger Lemon Girl
- Baking – Jules @ Jules Gluten Free
- Kids – Lynn @ Lynn’s Recipe Adventures
- Lunch Boxes – Tessa @ Tessa the Domestic Diva
- Shopping – Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry
- How do you let your servers know that you appreciate them?
- How have you helped to make positive changes in a restaurant?
- How do you affirm a job well done?