My topic for 10 Days of Gluten-Free is one of my favorite activities…Eating Out Gluten Free! For the next 10 days I will share 10 of my best tips for making the dining experience safe, healthy, and enjoyable, even when on a gluten-free diet.
Eating Out Tip #1 is…Do Your Homework.
If you walk into a restaurant cold, without any information about the establishment at all, and you have a terrible experience, well, it’s your own fault.
In this day and age, there is no excuse for ignorance. Most of us have the World Wide Web as close as our hip pockets or the lipstick slots of our Vera Bradleys. And if you don’t, within minutes you can find a computer to do a little research before heading out to dinner.
Most restaurants have their menus online, and many of them have gluten-free menus. Check them out, choose three meal options that look safe and yummy, and be prepared with questions for your server when you arrive. The answers to those questions will help you decide what to order. If you don’t have access to the internet, make a phone call during non-serving hours. Start with this question, “Is your restaurant able to serve gluten-free diners?”
One of the best restaurant finds I made was from a quick iPhone web search in the car about 60 miles outside of Asheville, North Carolina. One hit told me that we couldn’t drive through Asheville without stopping at Posana for dinner. Who knew that a restaurant where everything on the menu is naturally gluten-free just happened to be 6 hours into our road trip? I spent the next 60 minutes wondering if we were headed toward gluten-free heaven.
We were. If I hadn’t done my homework I would have missed out on this.
Do your homework.
At the end of 10 Days of Gluten Free, I’ll be giving away two $25 giftcards to P.F. Changs, one of the first chain restaurants to create a gluten-free menu. You can enter the giveaway by leaving a comment below. You can leave a second entry by letting me know that you followed Gluten-Free Cat on Twitter and “liked” Gluten-Free Cat’s Facebook page.
I’ll be back tomorrow with tip #2. And don’t forget to visit these blogs today for even more gluten-free tips:
- Getting Started – Linda @ The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Resources – Wendy @ Celiacs in the House
- Traveling – Karen @ Gluten-Free Travel Blog
- Frugal Tips – Janelle @ Gluten Freely Frugal
- Cooking – Carrie @ Ginger Lemon Girl
- Baking – Jules @ Jules Gluten Free
- Kids – Lynn @ Lynn’s Recipe Adventures
- Lunch Boxes – Tessa @ Tessa the Domestic Diva
- Shopping – Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry
- What resources do you use to research restaurants?
- Have you ordered from P.F. Chang’s gluten-free menu?
- What is your favorite gluten-free restaurant?
- This giveaway is limited to U.S. residents 18 and older.
- You are allowed two entries per “10 Days of Gluten Free” blog post for a total of 20 entries on this blog.
- Enter by leaving a comment on this post (and other 10 Days of GF posts)
- The giveaway begins May 7, 2012 and ends at 11:59 pm central time on May 18, 2012.
No purchase is necessary. Odds of winning are based on the number of entries. The winner will be randomly chosen and will be contacted by email. The winner will have 48 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen.