Eating Out Tip #7 is…Go Natural!
Most restaurants are not going to have a separate gluten-free menu with gluten-free bread awaiting your arrival. But plenty of gluten-free options are available if you order naturally.
Order naturally gluten-free foods.
1. Order from the salad menu. Most salads can be ordered gluten free if you take off croutons, wonton strips, tortilla strips, or anything else crunchy. Ask for the ingredients of the dressings, and if you can’t find a gluten-free option ask for bottles of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Make your own dressing at the table.
2. Order grilled meat without any seasonings. Olive oil, salt, and pepper are safe and tasty. Too bland? Ask for a side of salsa and make it Tex-Mex on your own. Again, ask these questions
, and ask them to use foil on the grill to avoid cross contamination.
4. Order sauteed veggies. But make sure they start in a clean pan and only use olive oil, salt, and pepper.
5. Order baked potatoes or sweet potatoes. When I open a steaming baked potato, I know that the skin served as a natural gluten barrier and that the potato inside is safe to eat. A side of salsa will liven up this tater too.
6. Order dessert! Vanilla ice cream makes even the blandest of meals a distant memory.
Have you been entering each day to win a $25 P.F. Chang’s gift card? Add another two entries today by answering two dish questions or by answering one and letting me know in a separate comment that you followed Gluten-Free Cat on Twitter
, “liked” Gluten-Free Cat’s Facebook page
, shared this post on Twitter or Facebook, or signed up to receive emailed notifications of new GFC posts.
- This giveaway is limited to U.S. residents 18 and older.
- You are allowed two entries per “10 Days of Gluten Free” blog post for a total of 20 entries on this blog.
- Enter by leaving a comment on this post (and other 10 Days of GF posts).
- The giveaway begins May 7, 2012 and ends at 11:59 pm central time on May 18, 2012.
No purchase is necessary. Odds of winning are based on the number of entries. The winner will be randomly chosen and will be contacted by email. The winner will have 48 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen.
Tomorrow’s Tip #8 is all about love, so come back and share the love!
Speaking of love, give some blog love to these 10 Days of Gluten Free bloggers!
- What naturally gluten-free items do you order at restaurants?
- What natural ingredients do you rely on?
Contest closed, but I’d love to hear your thoughts!