Welcome to Day 10 of 10 Days of Gluten Free, created by Linda, the Gluten-Free Homemaker. I hope you’ve enjoyed all 10 Eating Out Gluten Free posts as well as the posts by the 10 other bloggers listed at the bottom of each post. Thank you for participating!
Is it possible that I could have one more tip about Eating Out? Haven’t I covered it all?
Eating Out Tip #10 is…Don’t Let Your Guard Down. Don’t be lured into a sense of security when you have a gluten-free menu in your hand.
Many places now have a gluten-free menu. Thanks to restaurants like these, ordering gluten-free is much easier:
- P.F. Chang’s
- Bonefish Grill
- Cantina Laredo
- Taco Mamacita
- Outback Steakhouse
(Don’t you love that children are welcome at this restaurant as long as they’re well behaved?)
But whether you’re ordering from a separate gluten-free menu or from a menu with gluten-free notations, keep your guard up.
Here are two quick stories to illustrate:
1. When I sat down at Amerigo’s, I assumed I’d be having a salad. I was thrilled to find that they had come out with a gluten-free menu since my last visit. And listed on that menu was a gluten-free pasta. What a delight! Plain chicken and an iceburg lettuce salad while smelling Italian dishes like lasagna, ravioli, and tortellini is just pure torture. I could actually have pasta at an Italian restaurant!
I gushed my excitement to the server and explained that I’d love to know what kind of flour was in their gluten-free pasta. I was curious if it was rice, quinoa, corn, maybe a combination? Her answer astounded me. “I think it’s wheat, but I’m not sure. I’ll check for you.”
Even when ordering from a gluten-free menu, you have to keep your guard up. Just because there are gluten-free options doesn’t mean your food will be handled by people who know what gluten is.
2. Another time I ordered Chinese food from a gluten-free menu. The waiter was fantastic and assured me that my meal would be gluten free. But a non-English speaking attendant came to deliver my “gluten-free soy sauce”. When he placed it on the table I asked for confirmation. “This is the gluten-free soy sauce, right?”
“Oh yes, soy sauce,” should have been enough warning, but because of the obvious language barrier I trusted my original waiter.
Hours later, I was miserable.
Keep your guard up, even when ordering from a gluten-free menu.
Today is the last day to enter to win a $25 P.F. Chang’s gift card! I’ll be choosing two winners tomorrow. You can leave two entries today by answering two dish questions or by answering one and letting me know in a separate comment that you followed Gluten-Free Cat on Twitter, “liked” Gluten-Free Cat’s Facebook page, shared this post on Twitter or Facebook, or subscribed to Gluten-Free Cat posts via email. Give it one more shot!
- This giveaway is limited to U.S. residents 18 and older.
- You are allowed two entries per “10 Days of Gluten Free” blog post for a total of 20 entries on this blog.
- Enter by leaving a comment on this post (and other 10 Days of GF posts).
- The giveaway begins May 7, 2012 and ends at 11:59 pm central time on May 18, 2012.
No purchase is necessary. Odds of winning are based on the number of entries. The winner will be randomly chosen and will be contacted by email. The winner will have 48 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen.
Thanks again for your support of 10 Days of Gluten-Free. Hop on over to read the grand finales from these bloggers today:
- Getting Started – Linda @ The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Resources – Wendy @ Celiacs in the House
- Traveling – Karen @ Gluten-Free Travel Blog
- Frugal Tips – Janelle @ Gluten Freely Frugal
- Cooking – Carrie @ Ginger Lemon Girl
- Baking – Jules @ Jules Gluten Free
- Kids – Lynn @ Lynn’s Recipe Adventures
- Lunch Boxes – Tessa @ Tessa the Domestic Diva
- Shopping – Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry
- What was your favorite post of Eating Out Gluten Free?
- What was your favorite tip?
- If you were to write a post on Eating Out Gluten-Free, what tip would you add?
- What new blog did you learn about through this blog hop?