Welcome to Day 8 of 10 Days of Gluten Free! I’ve been sharing tips on dining out gluten free. Yesterday, my practical tip was to order foods that are naturally gluten-free. Today’s tip is more on the personal side.
This tip isn’t one that can be implemented in a single meal. It takes a while to get to this point, maybe even years. But when you finally have this experience, you know you’ve arrived in the gluten-free dining realm, and your bond with your dining companions will be unbreakable.
In the first few years of dining gluten free, you feel alone. You are the only weirdo at the table asking a million questions and ordering like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. But you can and you will get to the place where the people you dine with will embrace your gluten-free diet and actually order gluten-free meals along with you.
I can still remember the first time the Husband decided to order a gluten-free meal. It was at P.F. Chang’s. I couldn’t decide between two entrees, so he ordered one, and I ordered the other. Both were from the gluten free menu. After a few years of not sharing our meals, we had a beautiful reconnection over food. We ate off each other’s plates like the days before my diagnosis. We were just another couple saying, “This is so good, you have to try it.” It was so special to me that he has ordered gluten free ever since.
When you ask for a gluten-free menu and a friend says, “Make that two,” that’s a true friend.
Dine with people who love you or are adventurous enough to order gluten free. Share the love!
Here are steps that lead to sharing the love, but these steps might take a year or more to go through.
1. You ooh and ahh over your delicious gluten-free meal.
2. Your dining companions see that your meal looks really good and not at all like cardboard.
3. You offer your dining companions bites of your gluten-free meal. (Use uncontaminated utensils!)
4. Your friends realize that your meal is actually quite good and probably healthier than their choices.
5. Your friends decided to order gluten free just once to try it, and they actually enjoy it!
6. Your friends see how much fun it is to eat with you when you are all eating gluten free.
7. You and your friends have fun sharing bites and enjoying a good meal together.
8. You stop feeling like the odd man out and actually feel supported in your gluten-free lifestyle.
Share the love.
And what better place to share the love than P.F. Chang’s? You can enter today to win a $25 P.F. Chang’s gift card! You can leave two entries today by answering two dish questions or by answering one and letting me know in a separate comment that you followed Gluten-Free Cat on Twitter, “liked” Gluten-Free Cat’s Facebook page, shared this post on Twitter or Facebook, or subscribed to Gluten-Free Cat posts via email.
- This giveaway is limited to U.S. residents 18 and older.
- You are allowed two entries per “10 Days of Gluten Free” blog post for a total of 20 entries on this blog.
- Enter by leaving a comment on this post (and other 10 Days of GF posts).
- The giveaway begins May 7, 2012 and ends at 11:59 pm central time on May 18, 2012.
No purchase is necessary. Odds of winning are based on the number of entries. The winner will be randomly chosen and will be contacted by email. The winner will have 48 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen.
Join me tomorrow for Eating Out Gluten Free Tip #9.
Hungry for more gluten-free tips? Visit these 10 Days of Gluten Free bloggers:
- Getting Started – Linda @ The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Resources – Wendy @ Celiacs in the House
- Traveling – Karen @ Gluten-Free Travel Blog
- Frugal Tips – Janelle @ Gluten Freely Frugal
- Cooking – Carrie @ Ginger Lemon Girl
- Baking – Jules @ Jules Gluten Free
- Kids – Lynn @ Lynn’s Recipe Adventures
- Lunch Boxes – Tessa @ Tessa the Domestic Diva
- Shopping – Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry
- Do your friends or family order gluten free when they’re with you?
- How do you feel when others order gluten-free meals with you?
- Does “sharing the love” seem possible or like a dream to you right now in your journey?