I stopped my weekly Friday’s Find posts, because I was having a difficult time finding products that met my standards for a healthy, gluten-free diet. Gluten-free junk food is no longer something that I get excited about. But today’s Friday’s Find really gets me meowing, because finally there’s a company that creates baking mixes that taste great and fuel the body well.
Jill Motew, founder of Zema’s Madhouse Foods, has developed a line of ancient grain, gluten-free baking mixes that have more than caught the attention of this gluten-free cat. They have me laser-pointer mesmerized. Currently, Zema has 4 baking mixes available online, and it’s only a matter of time before you’ll be finding these mixes at a market near you.
I had an opportunity to sample Zema’s Rosemary-Millet Focaccia & Pizza Crust Mix, and I pounced on it. I was happy to review it because they use ancient grains and superfoods. (Insert superhero music of choice here. Mine is always this.) Plus, all of the mixes are vegan, sugar-free, and gluten-free.
I was prepared to go wild and design an amazing pizza for you that featured Zema’s pizza crust, but I couldn’t stop thinking about Zema’s Tomato Herb Focaccia recipe which is printed on the back of the package. So I followed the focaccia recipe precisely, and this is what emerged from my oven.
I’m so glad that I followed the directions (which is not one of my strong suits). The intricacies of the crust are so unique that I’m relieved that I didn’t ruin it by smothering it with a nut cheese and overpowering the flavor with olives and artichokes. The sturdy, chewy crust had a mildly sweet taste, possibly from the millet flour. The substantial crust would definitely support heftier toppings, but I’d go easy on the layering as the bread flavors hold their own.
What’s in Zema’s Rosemary-Millet Focaccia & Pizza Crust Mix? And why is it so great? Just look at the seeds in the whole grain flours.
I’ve sampled and reviewed a lot of gluten-free mixes, but I’ve never found one as nutritionally sound as this one. Here are some of the benefits of the ingredients:
- Millet Flour – one of the most easily digestible ancient grains and a great natural source of protein B-vitamins and minerals
- Sorghum Flour – a high protein, gluten-free flour with a wheat-like taste that’s high in soluble fiber
- Quinoa Flakes – one of my go-to protein sources because it’s a high quality, complete protein
- Flaxseed Meal – an incredible plant-based source of alpha-linolenic acid, which converts to heart-protective Omega-3 fatty acid. It contains fiber which promotes intestinal health and is a rich source of lignans which are phytoestrogens thought to protect against breast, prostate, and colon cancers.
- Chia Seeds – the superfood that fueled me through my marathon training because of its concentrated energy and nutrition. They were the featured ingredient of my Raw Energy Gel. They contain even more Omega-3 fatty acids than flaxseeds, reduce inflammation, and decrease risks for cardiovascular disease.
- Hemp Seeds – contain all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary to maintain healthy human life. Wow! That’s why I sprinkle them on almost everything! But have you ever had focaccia bread with hemp seeds? If not, you’re missing out.
Bottom line? This is a delicious crust that has my full support. Worth ordering online until they appear in your local market? Definitely. Here are the three other mixes that Zema currently offers:
- Gluten-Free Cinnamon-Oatmeal Apple Muffin Mix
- Gluten-Free Seeded Multigrain Pancake & Waffle Mix
- Gluten-Free Cocoa Teff Pancake & Waffle Mix
- Have you tried any Zema products? What did you think?
- Do you use gluten-free mixes?
- What makes a gluten-free mix work for you?
- What’s your latest gluten-free find?
(Disclaimer: I have no connection to nor was I paid by Zema’s Madhouse Foods. I did receive a complimentary sample sent for me to taste and review. I do not give positive reviews just because the product was free but will always give my honest opinion.)