One of my favorite ways to start the day is with a smoothie. But when my activities ask for a little more power, I love a raw oat breakfast. It’s easy to make, easy to digest, and easy to scoop and go all week.
I’ve shared my tRAWpical oat breakfast before, and this oat breakfast is very similar. It starts with soaking grains to soften them and then pureeing them with other healthy ingredients to create a creamy oatmeal-like consistency.
Soaked oat groats and buckwheat groats
Some of you who are gluten intolerant are also sensitive to oats. Thankfully, I can enjoy oats as long as I purchase them from a dedicated gluten-free facility. If you are sensitive to oats, just substitute buckwheat groats for the oat groats. It will have a nuttier taste but still delicious.
Raw buckwheat groats
Raw Bananas and “Cream” Oat Breakfast
- ¾ c. raw gluten-free oat groats
- ¼ c. raw buckwheat groats (I use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Raw Whole Grain Buckwheat Groats.)
- 1 banana
- 5 dates
- 1/2 c. So Delicious, Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk
(or any nut milk)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- sea salt to taste
1. Soak the oat groats and buckwheat groats in a bowl of water for 12-24 hours. Drain, rinse, and add fresh water once or twice during the soaking period.
2. Drain and rinse the oat groats and buckwheat groats.
3. Add all of the ingredients to the food processor, topping it with the coconut milk, and process for 10-15 seconds or until it reaches desired consistency.
4. Serve, season with sea salt, and top with fresh banana slices.
Other raw breakfast ideas:
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Allergy-Free Wednesdays hosted by Laura at Laura’s Gluten-Free Pantry
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Whole Foods Wednesdays hosted by France of Beyond the Peel
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Raw Foods Thursdays hosted by Gluten-Free Cat
- Are you an oatmeal fan?
- Can you tolerate gluten-free oatmeal?
- What is your favorite brand?
- Share a favorite raw breakfast idea!