I want to thank you all for your sweet messages, your support, and your prayers after our loss of Sweet Marcy. The sharing of your own personal stories of loss through this blog, facebook, and email have meant so much to me. There’s comfort in knowing that others have felt this pain. This emptiness. This grief. Though my heart aches, your loving support has been part of the beginnings of healing.
It’s hard to write about food. It sounds so everyday, but my everyday has been completely changed. Marcy isn’t sitting up high on the trashcan to see what I’m making. She’s not rubbing against my ankles, asking to smell what I’m scraping off the spoon. But after days of avoiding the kitchen, I actually felt drawn to it today. There was comfort in the repetitive motions of chopping, mixing, pouring, and spreading.
I’m thankful that I have some prewritten restaurant reviews to share over the next few weeks that will have my normal happy spunk. But for now, sharing a simple recipe is about as spunky as I’m going to get.
Here’s a quick, easy treat that I’ve been enjoying as an afternoon snack this summer. It’s sugar-free, dairy-free, and can be made vegan by using agave instead of honey. Best of all, it’s good for you. Fruit, nuts, honey.
I use the frozen Cascadian Farms Organic Mixed Berries from Costco to make this cold, crunchy treat.
Berry Almond Crunch
- 2 c. frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 c. raw almonds
- 1 T. honey or agave nectar
1. Place all ingredients in the food processor and pulse until chunks stick together when scooped with a spoon.
2. Spoon into bowls and enjoy.
Makes 2 snacks or 4 small desserts
Love to you all.
- What comforts you when you’re down?
- How have friends helped you in your grief?
- What is your favorite quick, healthy treat?
- What is your favorite cool summer snack?
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Ingredient Challenge Monday hosted by Sunny of And Love It Too!
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Keep it Real Thursdays hosted by France of Beyond the Peel
- Allergy Free Wednesdays hosted by Tessa the Domestic Diva, Amber of The Tasty Alternative, and friends
- Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki of Diet, Dessert & Dogs
- Sugar Free Sunday hosted by Raj and Sonia of Flip Cookbook
- 5-Ingredient Mondays hosted by Iris of The Daily Dietribe