Summer is going by too fast. As much as I’m enjoying the slower pace of each day with extra time in the kitchen, leisurely moments flipping through new cookbooks, and meeting up with friends, it’s hard not to look at the calendar. After the 4th of July it always looks like a downhill race track. In just a couple of weeks I’ll be getting my classroom ready for a new batch of Kinderlings. And while that’s an exciting prospect, summer is just too sweet for me to be ready for that right now.
Since cherries will still be in season when my short summer vacation comes to an end, I know I can bring a taste of summer with me to my first few weeks of school. I’ll be packing a very delicious salad as well as some sweet summer memories in my lunch box.
This recipe requires one cup of fresh cherries. But I highly recommend that you wash a cup and a half. One cup for the salad and another half for you to nibble on while you pit the cherries.
Lovely ribbons of kale, sweet cherries, and creamy avocado make this a summer salad to remember.
This salad is my submission to No Crouton’s Required, hosted by Lisa of Lisa’s Kitchen, as this month’s theme is soups and salads especially suited for summer. You’ll want to look for her round up at the end of the month.
Creamy Kale and Cherry Salad
- 1/2 bunch of Russian Kale, stems removed
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 c. fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- dash of cayenne pepper
1. Roll kale and cut in thin ribbons. Place in a large bowl. Add basil, cherries, and green onions.
2. Mash avocado in a small bowl with the lemon juice, sea salt, and cayenne pepper until creamy.
3. Scoop avocado mixture on top of the kale mixture and mix until kale is well coated.
4. Chill for 30 minutes and serve.
And enjoy those special moments you have left of summer, whether they be big or small.
My summer memories so far:
- Pool side with the girls
- Lunch dates with the Husband
- GFE Retreat
- My first marathon
- Sushi class with the Husband
- Weekend trip to Gluten-Free Asheville…posts coming!!
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Allergy Free Wednesdays hosted by Tessa the Domestic Diva, Amber of The Tasty Alternative…and friends!
- Keep It Real Thursdays hosted by France of Beyond the Peel
- Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki of Diet, Dessert & Dogs
- Sugar Free Sunday hosted by Raj and Sonia of Flip Cookbook