GF Recipes, Raw Foods

Creamy Kale and Cherry Salad

22 Comments 16 July 2012

Creamy Kale and Cherry Salad

Summer is going by too fast.  As much as I’m enjoying the slower pace of each day with extra time in the kitchen, leisurely moments flipping through new cookbooks, and meeting up with friends, it’s hard not to look at the calendar. After the 4th of July it always looks like a downhill race track.  In just a couple of weeks I’ll be getting my classroom ready for a new batch of Kinderlings.  And while that’s an exciting prospect, summer is just too sweet for me to be ready for that right now.

Since cherries will still be in season when my short summer vacation comes to an end, I know I can bring a taste of summer with me to my first few weeks of school.  I’ll be packing a very delicious salad as well as some sweet summer memories in my lunch box.

This recipe requires one cup of fresh cherries.  But I highly recommend that you wash a cup and a half.  One cup for the salad and another half for you to nibble on while you pit the cherries.

Lovely ribbons of kale, sweet cherries, and creamy avocado make this a summer salad to remember.

This salad is my submission to No Crouton’s Required, hosted by Lisa of Lisa’s Kitchen, as this month’s theme is soups and salads especially suited for summer.  You’ll want to look for her round up at the end of the month.

Creamy Kale and Cherry Salad

• 1/2 bunch of Russian Kale, stems removed
  • 4-5 fresh basil leaves, minced
  • 1 c. fresh cherries, pitted and halved
  • 1 green onion, sliced
  • 1 avocado
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • dash of cayenne pepper

1.  Roll kale and cut in thin ribbons.  Place in a large bowl.  Add basil, cherries, and green onions.

2.  Mash avocado in a small bowl with the lemon juice, sea salt, and cayenne pepper until creamy.

3.  Scoop avocado mixture on top of the kale mixture and mix until kale is well coated.

4.  Chill for 30 minutes and serve.

Serves 4

For more summer salads, see Hallie’s list of 101 Summer Salads at Daily Bites.

And enjoy those special moments you have left of summer, whether they be big or small.

My summer memories so far:

• Pool side with the girls
  • Lunch dates with the Husband
  • GFE Retreat
  • My first marathon
  • Sushi class with the Husband
  • Weekend trip to Gluten-Free Asheville…posts coming!!
Readers, dish!  Share a favorite memory from this summer!
This recipe was shared with:

1. christine says:

I love all those ingredients, but would never have thought of putting cherries in a savoury salad! I shall try it soon as I have kale in the garden, avocados in the fridge and cherries in the supermarket on the doorstep:)

2. This captures summer perfectly. I’ll have to make it soon. Thanks!

3. I adore kale AND cherries…the two combined sounds like heaven! What a scrumptious Summer salad!

4. This salad looks lovely. We love the pairing of cherries and kale and using healthy avocado as the main ingredient for dressing. Beautiful creation, thanks for sharing!

5. amber says:

Oh Heather. This recipe is just beautiful. Look at those cherries – are they not the cutest little things?!

This salad is so full of color and healthy goodness. I can imagine how wonderful it tastes. Simple too. Your ingredients rock.

My favorite summer memory so far…well, I have a few:

-Taking my daughter on a girl’s trip to NYC
    -My 10th wedding anniversary (I’m married to my BFF, so awesome)
    -My son turning 3
    -My daughter turning 6
    -Watching my daughter learn how to swim
    -Picking fresh veggies and fruit from our summer garden
    -My body and immune system cooperating and allowing me the energy to have fun with my family and enjoy each day. :-)

Amber, it sounds like you are having a wonderful summer! I’m holding on to the idea that these wonderful summer memories will keep us smiling throughout the upcoming school year! :) Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! It truly is incredible to be married to your best friend, right? <3

6. Heather, that is seriously one gorgeous salad! What a perfect combo of flavors. I actually have every single ingredient so I think that this will be part of dinner tomorrow night!
    And I cannot believe how fast summer is going. My kiddos start school in only a few weeks!! YIKES! You are right…as exciting as that is, not quite ready for summer to be done yet! :(
    Beautiful photos, by the way! :D

7. Lisa says:

Lovely salad. I always look forward to the cherry season. Thanks so much for sharing with NCR this month.

8. What a lovely salad. I love the mix of avocado and cherry here and a fab way of getting in some healthy raw veggies in without the typical ho yum salad. Beautiful.

9. it sounds like such a refreshing salad!

10. Rachel says:

That sounds so delicious! I’m always looking for new ways to use kale. I wonder how it would taste with chard. Have you ever tried chard in that salad?

Thanks for sharing!

11. Skylor says:

Lately I have been putting my kale on low in the blender before putting it in my salads to “massage” it without having to massage it. I love kale salads! I need to get a cherry pitter too, this post has inspired me. Thanks!

12. Love the mix of cherries and kale with a creamy lemony avocado dressing!

13. amber says:

Hi Heather,

I’ll be featuring your awesome salad this week on AFW! Just love it. :-)