GF Recipes, Healthy Living

Orange Sweet Potato Smoothie

17 Comments 09 July 2012

Orange Sweet Potato Smoothie

Do leftover cooked sweet potatoes sit in your fridge forgotten?  They used to in our home, but they no longer have the chance to become a wet goey mess or to shrivel at the back of the refrigerator.  Because now I have a delicious smoothie that begs for them.  My Orange Sweet Potato Smoothie is creamy and refreshing, and the flavor walks the line between sweetness and tartness.  It’s also packed with nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin A, beta-carotene, calcium, folate, and potassium.  What a way to start the day!

Left to my own devices I’d probably drink a chocolate banana mixed berry smoothie every weekday morning, but combinations like this pull me out of my ruts and open my morning to a spectrum of flavor and nutrients.

Orange Sweet Potato Smoothie

1.  Using a citrus juicer, juice 4-5 oranges and pour 2 cups of orange juice into the VitaMix.

2.  Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth.

Serves 1

Are you in a smoothie rut?  This smoothie is worth stepping out for!

Other Gluten-Free Cat smoothies you might enjoy:

Sweet potato smoothie recipes from other bloggers:

• Have you ever tried sweet potato in a smoothie?
  • What’s the most interesting ingredient you’ve ever put in a smoothie?
  • What is your smoothie rut?
This recipe was shared with:

1. Ricki says:

That looks incredibly refreshing! The one I made (thanks for the shout-out!) was very thick, which made it seem more for winter somehow. . . yours looks ideal for this warmer weather! :)

2. Michele says:

I love using sweet potato in smoothies, something I discovered accidentally when I ran out of bananas and had some leftover in the fridge. It sounds a little odd, but my favorite combo is chocolate soymilk, peanut butter and sweet potato. The earthy-ness of the sweet potato brings out the peanut buttery-ness and it thickens the smoothie, too. It’s just like the best chocolate- peanut butter ice cream ever, only healthier, and for breakfast!

Love your combination!!! I’m going to try it with almond milk and raw cocoa powder since I don’t do soy. Chocolate, peanut butter, and sweet potato sounds incredible!! And I love dessert for breakfast. :0

• Michele says:

I think if you were to use straight alomnd milk and cocoa powder, you might need to add a little sweetener. But, did you know, Silk Pure Almond has a Dark Chocolate variety? I bet that would be good! Hope you enjoy it :)

3. What a brilliant smoothie! I use pumpkin often in my smoothies, but have never thought to try sweet potato. Orange and sweet potato must go together perfectly in this drink!

4. I use sweet potato all the time in my smoothies, Heather. The first time I tried it, I was just wanting to add natural sweetness. A little bit of sweet potato did that and more, as you indicate with all the health benefits. :-) Your smoothie looks gorgeous!

5. This is definitely an outside-the-box smoothie and we absolutely love it! Great creativity and nice job keeping the nutrition levels high! We can’ wait to give this one a try!

6. Mmm so chilling and refreshing, I love it!

7. Iris says:

Gorgeous photos! I love the combo of orange and cinnamon too. :) Thanks for the link love!

8. Carol says:

Yum, love that color and it looks creamy but not too thick. I must try this one!

9. Amber says:

Hi Heather,

I’m totally intrigued by this smoothie! I love learning new ways to use foods. Pinning for later. :-)

10. We have a few sweet potaotes to use up. What a coincidence. What would you sub in instead of the vanilla protein powder if we don’t have any?

I don’t know if I’d sub anything. It will be just as tasty without it. Maybe 1/4 tsp. of vanilla? I add protein powder to most of my smoothies as I seem to need the extra boost. With a high raw diet, I make sure I get a good dose of protein in the morning with a high quality protein powder.

11. Rogene says: