GF Recipes, Raw Foods

Raw Mango Banana Pie

15 Comments 02 July 2012

Raw Mango Banana Pie

I promised back in March that I’d share some of my raw recipes from my month of eating raw foods. Eating raw foods may sound intimidating or overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be.  You don’t need a juicer or a dehydrator to make many raw dishes.  Most of them are rather simple, like this Raw Mango Banana Pie.

The crust is crazy simple.  Two ingredients. Almond pulp and Grade B Maple Syrup.  I use almond pulp left over from making almond milk, but if you don’t have pulp, just grind up a cup of almonds in the food processor.  The syrup helps the crust stick together and provides a deliciously sweet taste.  I love sweetening with Grade B Maple Syrup because of its health benefits.  According to High Vibe, just one ounce supplies up to 22% of the daily value for Manganese which is an essential cofactor in several enzymes that help to produce energy and support antioxidant defense.  It also plays a significant role in eliminating fatty acids and cholesterol.

And what could be healthier than fresh fruit on this pie crust?  Simply layer bananas and mangos on top of the almond crust and sprinkle it with cinnamon.

I love eating this as a cool summer dinner.  Eating dessert for dinner isn’t naughty when the ingredients are this good for you!  Or you can save it for dessert and split it with a friend.

Raw Mango Banana Pie

• ½ c. almond pulp (If you don’t have any, toss a cup of almonds in the food processor.)
  • ¼ c. Grade B Maple Syrup
  • 1 banana, sliced
  • 1 mango, chopped
  • dash of cinnamon

1.  Mix almond pulp and Grade B Maple Syrup together to make the crust.

2.  Press almond pulp crust into the bottom of dish.

3.  Layer bananas and mangos on top.

4.  Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Serves 1-2

Eating raw doesn’t have to be complicated.  But it should always be tasty!

• What is your simplest raw food meal?
  • Do you ever eat dessert for dinner?

This recipe was shared with:

1. Lynne L says:

Sounds good…a cool recipe for a hot day (or anytime). Thanks so much!

2. Amber says:

Heather,

I love the simplicity of this dish. Beautiful and packed full of nutrition. Awesome!

3. Sherri says:

How do you keep the bananas from browning? I’m thinking if I make it ahead of time the bananas will brown before I serve it. No?

Hi Sherri! Toss your sliced bananas with fresh pineapple or lemon juice, and that should slow down the browning. But the slicing is so quick and easy that it won’t be too time consuming to slice and spread before serving.

4. This looks great, Heather! I have a mango that needs to be used and of course bananas (they are a household staple). We can’t do almond, but I have a coconut crust that I make. I am going to do this for dessert tonight. Thanks for the inspiration :)

5. Heather,

I made this pie with a few adjustments. It was SO good. Everyone loved it so much. Thanks for the inspiration!

heres my recipe

Heather, I LOVE this recipe!! Can’t wait to make it myself. Love the idea of adding dried fruit to the crust too. Thanks so much for sharing this with us!!

6. mjskit says:

What a fabulous idea! I love this!!!!

7. Alisa says:

Yum, and so simple!

8. Skylor says:

Almond pulp crust! How easy and delicious. Just three days ago, I “accidentally” ate an entire bag of frozen mango from Trader Joe’s… those bags are huge. Looks like it will take me about a week to recover from that, but as soon as I do this is what I will be making! Thanks so much for this beautiful recipe!

9. I am crazy about raw desserts and I also happen to love mango! I am featuring this awesome recipe this week on AFW :)

10. I love bananas and maple syrup.

1. Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Blog Hop Week 25 | Gluten Free Pantry - 10. Jul, 2012

[...] Raw Mango Banana Pie @ Gluten-Free [...]