GF Recipes, Raw Foods

Raw Sweet Heat Beet Salad

17 Comments 28 August 2012

Raw Sweet Heat Beet Salad
Can you tell school has begun?
Fun in the sun is over and done!
Time for work, back to coffees that perk.
And five year olds around every corner do lurk.

One of our standards for Kindergarten is recognizing rhymes. I must have had that on the brain when writing this recipe.  Would you like to eat some Sweet Beet Heat?  This raw salad does more than just rattle through the -eat word family.  It combines two of my favorite tastes (okay, besides chocolate and peanut butter).  Sweetness and Spiciness. And doesn’t this just look like something the Cat in the Hat would enjoy with a Rat?

Okay, I’ll stop.

The sweetness of the beets and apples contrast with the spicy peppers and basil to put this salad at the top of my favorites. (I tried.) I only use a half jalapeno, but feel free to toss in a whole jalapeno if you want some real heat!

Raw Sweet Heat Beet Salad

• 3 c. shredded beets (about 3 medium beets)
  • 3 c. peeled and cored chopped green apples (about 3 medium apples)
  • 1/2 c. finely chopped basil
  • 1/3 c. finely chopped red sweet pepper
  • 1/2 jalapeno, finely chopped
  • juice of 1 lemon

1.  Shred beets in the food processor and place in a large bowl.

2.  Add chopped apples, basil, red sweet pepper, and jalapeno.

3.  Toss with lemon juice.

Serves 8

• Do you like beets raw? (Cooking them is not a law.)
  • Does sweet or heat tickle your feet?
  • Share your favorite flavor combo.  Can you salsa or dance the mambo?
  • (And don’t forget to chime in a rhyme!)

Yes, all comments must be made in rhyme this week!

This recipe was shared with:

1. Looks so yummy and light, cheery and bright, can’t wait to give it a try tonight! :)

2. Linda says:

Heather, that salad looks lovely. I’ve only had raw beet in juice. I’m not a big fan of beets, but I can eat them. I’m also not a hot pepper girl, but I like the apple, lemon, and basil combo. I might enjoy the beets more that way.

Loved the rhymes!

3. Okay, my dear. You are TOTALLY cracking me up!! I love making rhymes up too. And silly songs. And crazy limericks. My kids think I’m nuts. :D
    And I totally love this beet salad. That combo with the jalapenos sounds amazing!! I am definitely making this this weekend.
    Hope your school year has started out with an AWESOME bang!
    xo

Oh, it’s off to a BANG for sure! A bigger bang than expected, ha! Silly songs, limericks, and other rhymes are keeping us all sane in Kinder this month!!!

4. Kathryn says:

This looks similar to a shredded carrot and beet salad I love. The addition of basil and jalapeno would really kick it up a notch. I’ve got beets in the fridge and the basil and peppers in the garden!

By the way, finally made it to Posana Cafe on the recommendation of your posts and it was an amazing experience. To feel completely safe outside my own kitchen was such a treat.

Thanks.

I’m so glad that you had a chance to experience Posana! My heart just sings to think of it! A 100% gluten-free restaurant is something dreams are made of. Thanks so much for reporting back!

5. Kathryn says:

P.S. There’s no way I can rhyme before coffee. =D

6. Rogene says:

Looks good! We love beets.

7. Just beautiful Heather. What a lovely blend of flavors,

8. Ricki says:

I love so many of these! Beets and apples? Oh, yes, please. And add jalapeno to make it ideal (though too much, and my poor hubby might squeal). I think I’ll have to try this dish. And if it *did* contain chocolate–well, don’t I wish! (A girl can dream). ;-)

9. Debi says:

Who doesn’t love raw beets? Pull up a chair and take a seat. It’s time to EAT! :D

1. Gluten-Free Wednesdays 9-5-12 | Elite Daily Diet and Fitness - 04. Sep, 2012

[...] are a few recipes I particularly liked. Pineapple Chili Chicken Marinade – Dandelions on the Wall Raw Sweet Heat Beet Salad – Gluten-Free Cat Virtual Support Group with Paleo Parents – Gluten Free Easily Homemade [...]

2. Lessons From My Gluten-Free Kitchen | Gluten-Free Cat - 28. Nov, 2012

[...] buckwheat groats will be folded into these raw cookies. The basil will accent salads all week long. (I miss my herb garden, but this works for [...]