One of our standards for Kindergarten is recognizing rhymes. I must have had that on the brain when writing this recipe. Would you like to eat some Sweet Beet Heat? This raw salad does more than just rattle through the -eat word family. It combines two of my favorite tastes (okay, besides chocolate and peanut butter). Sweetness and Spiciness. And doesn’t this just look like something the Cat in the Hat would enjoy with a Rat?
Okay, I’ll stop.
The sweetness of the beets and apples contrast with the spicy peppers and basil to put this salad at the top of my favorites. (I tried.) I only use a half jalapeno, but feel free to toss in a whole jalapeno if you want some real heat!
Raw Sweet Heat Beet Salad
- 3 c. shredded beets (about 3 medium beets)
- 3 c. peeled and cored chopped green apples (about 3 medium apples)
- 1/2 c. finely chopped basil
- 1/3 c. finely chopped red sweet pepper
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
1. Shred beets in the food processor and place in a large bowl.
2. Add chopped apples, basil, red sweet pepper, and jalapeno.
3. Toss with lemon juice.
- Do you like beets raw? (Cooking them is not a law.)
- Does sweet or heat tickle your feet?
- Share your favorite flavor combo. Can you salsa or dance the mambo?
- (And don’t forget to chime in a rhyme!)
Yes, all comments must be made in rhyme this week!
This recipe was shared with:
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Allergy Free Wednesdays hosted by Tessa the Domestic Diva , Amber of The Tasty Alternative, and friends.
- Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki of Diet, Dessert & Dogs
- GFE Visual Gluten-Free Support Group hosted by Shirley of GFE
- Potluck Party hosted by Ella of Lifeologia