GF Recipes, Raw Foods, Raw Foods Thursdays

Raw Foods Thursdays 9/6/12 and Do You Really Need a Dehydrator?

10 Comments 05 September 2012

Raw Foods Thursdays 9/6/12 and Do You Really Need a Dehydrator?

Welcome to Raw Foods Thursdays!  Last week the theme must have been raw cheesecake, because there were two amazing raw recipes linked up!  If you didn’t have a chance to check these out, take a look.  But I’m warning you. You’re going to want to make them.  Yesterday.

The Sarr Family of Practical Stewardship shared their delicious recipe for Raw Raspberry Creamy Cheesecake.

And Amber of The Tasty Alternative shared her recipe for this unbelievable Raw Cherry “Cheese” Cake.

Both of these raw cheesecake recipes have inspired me to try something new, and that’s what Raw Foods Thursdays is all about. Thank you so much for your contributions!

I’ve had many readers and friends ask me this question,  ”Do you really need a dehydrator to enjoy raw foods?” Absolutely not!  Neither raw cheesecake recipe above requires a dehydrator. You can thoroughly enjoy all sorts of salads, spiralized veggie pastas, nut pates, and even dessets without investing in a dehydrator.  In fact, I enjoyed Brandi Rollin’s Raw Foods on a Budget Bootcamp for 28 days and only used my dehydrator once for an optional meal. BUT. If you want to add variety to your raw foods diet, the key is a dehydrator! Why? Because we live in the real world.

We live in a world of cookies, bread, crackers, wraps, and pizza.  Yes, pizza.  And even on a raw foods diet, you can enjoy each and every one of these, but with far healthier ingredients. If you have a dehydrator.

Want to make pizza?  You must have a dehydrator and these Para Flexx Sheets to make the crust.

Want to make bread?  Or something that resembles bread?  (I’m not going to even try to convince you that raw bread is like real bread, but it IS delicious, and it IS so good for you.) You must have a dehydrator.

And then there are crackers.  Crunching on carrot and celery will only satisfy for so long. With a dehydrator you can make flax crackers, veggie pulp crackers, and even these sun-dried tomato crackers.  Spread with nut pates, these make incredible high protein snacks.

Do you have a dehydrator?  If so, what raw recipes have you made with it?  I’d love for you to link up those recipes for us this week.  You are NOT limited to dehydrator recipes, but I’ll be highlighting these recipes in next week’s post.

Here’s how you can participate:

• Simply link up a raw foods recipe (see What is Raw Food?), mention Raw Foods Thursdays, and link back to this post so your readers can join in the fun!
  • Please link to the recipe, not to a blog’s home page, so we can all find your raw foods recipe.
  • You may link up a recipe that you’ve made in the past. Just make sure to share something different each time you participate.
  • Be sure to leave a comment letting us know who you are and what you’re sharing.
  • Feel free to use the Raw Foods Thursdays blog badge created by the lovely, talented Heather Peters!

What are Raw Foods Meals?

• Plant-based meals that are not cooked.  Dehydrators may be used no higher than 118 degrees.  (The raw foods community has differing views on temperature, but the range is between 104 and 118 degrees.)
  • Raw Ingredients: vegetables, fruit, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, gluten-free sprouted grains, beans, and oils.

What isn’t raw?

• Anything cooked above 118.
  • Anything processed.  If it comes from a can or a package that lists more than one ingredient, chances are it’s not raw!

This week I’m sharing my recipe for Sun-Dried Tomato Crackers.  What do you have to share?

1. Peggy says:

Ooops….my picture was submitted before I was ready.

2. Amber says:

Hi Heather,

Oh my – those recipes look amazing. I wish I could eat MORE raw foods – alas, my weak digestion doesn’t do well on a lot of raw, but I try and get it in when I can. I find that if I take enzymes and chew very, very well (and rest after I eat) I do much better. Especially after eating nuts (even if they have been soaked).

I can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with here, sounds like you were inspired. So awesome.

I’ve haven’t been blogging much either. Since my daughter started school my son keeps me so busy all day. I am enjoying this little break though. I have a recipe up for posting tonight.

Have a great weekend, Heather.

Hugs,
    –Amber

When I did a month of raw food, I had trouble with digestion during the first few days, but then I learned about soaking. Bummer that soaking nuts doesn’t help you though. :( I do have quite a hearty digestive system. It can handle almost everything I throw at it except gluten!

I always look forward to October this time of year. By then school is humming along and I can breathe a little!

3. Julie says:

So many cashews in all the raw food recipes, how can it be afforded? Any good online source?

Julie, you are so right. Cashews are really expensive, but so creamy and delicious! I try to substitute almonds for many cashew recipes. But you really can’t get the creamy texture for a “cheese” without the cashews. I haven’t tried online sources for nuts yet, but I’d love a suggestion from readers!

4. Ricki says:

How I love all these raw recipes! I find I do really well on a raw diet. . .maybe it’s because there are basically no grains. Want to try all of these! :)

5. Debi says:

OMG! You’re right! I want that Raw Cherry Cheesecake YESTERDAY! *print print print print*