I love my chocolate, and I usually save chocolate for special treats or dessert. But lately I’ve been making chocolate almond milk. It’s wonderful for smoothies, for mid-afternoon snacks, and for right before a workout.
I avoided making my own almond milk for years because of the word Nut Milk Bag. It just sounded way too involved, so I continued to buy almond milk at the store. My obsession with homemade almond milk can be blamed on Dallas, one of the Raw Foods Potluck Girls, because she gave me a Nut Milk Bag as a Christmas gift. It sat on the counter in my kitchen until about March when I finally had enough nerve to try to use it. I can’t believe I wasted three months of wondering. Now I use that bag multiple times a week.
Making almond milk really is a snap. I soak one cup of almonds overnight, drain and rinse them in the morning, and then place them in the Vitamix with 5 cups of water and 4 dates. I let the Vitamix work its magic on high speed, and in under a minute it’s ready to pour into the Nut Milk Bag.
The Nut Milk Bag has a string at the top so you can cinch it closed. Then all you do is squeeze the bag and let the velvety milk run through your fingers and into the bowl. It’s that easy.
It’s not super sweet, but it’s a rich, delicious, and satisfying snack. A perfect compliment to these.
Or blend a cup of Chocolate Almond Milk with a banana for a pick-me-up smoothie.
Chocolate Almond Milk
- 1 c. almonds
- 4 dates
- 5 cups filtered water
- 2 T. Raw Cacao Powder
1. Soak 1 cup of almonds in filtered water overnight.
2. Drain and rinse almond.
3. Place soaked almonds and dates in the Vitamix with 5 cups of water and blend on high for about 30 seconds.
4. Pour into a Nut Milk Bag and squeeze milk into a large bowl.
Makes almost 2 quarts.
- Do you make your own nut milk?
- What is your favorite kind to make?
- What is your favorite healthy pick-me-up snack?
- Gluten-Free Monday hosted by Heidi of One Creative Mommy
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Allergy Free Wednesdays hosted by Tessa the Domestic Diva , Amber of The Tasty Alternative, and friends
- Keep it Real Thursdays hosted by France of Beyond the Peel
- Raw Foods Thursdays here at Gluten-Free Cat
- Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki of Diet, Dessert & Dogs
- Healthy Vegan Friday hosted by Gabby of The Veggie Nook