GF Recipes, Raw Foods

Raw Banana Pumpkin Crackers

16 Comments 08 October 2012

Raw Banana Pumpkin Crackers

Not too long ago, I was on a quest to use my raw almond pulp for more than just compost. I attempted to make Raw Banana Snickerdoodles, and at first I was really pleased.  I shared my experience here. But those cookies sat in the fridge and got exponentially drier by the day. I tried again and added more moist ingredients. The cookies were still dry, so I made a plea to you readers to PLEASE help me! Thank you all for your suggestions. I have had a lot more success, but the new and improved version isn’t quite ready to share.

BUT these Raw Banana Pumpkin Crackers are another story.  These are moist, crazy easy to make, and so delicious!

And it does my heart good to know that I’m using every bit of the almond for milk and crackers.  In fact, I’m going to pour myself a glass of almond milk and snack on one of these babies right now while I type the recipe for you.

I decided to try making crackers from almond pulp after finding a cool vegan blog called Fridge Scrapings. Check out Lou’s recipe for Raw Caramel Banana Crackers.  I’m making those next!

Raw Banana Pumpkin Crackers

• 1 c. almond pulp (or almond flour)
  • 2 T. grade B maple syrup
  • 1/4 c. raw almond butter
  • 2 bananas
  • 1/2 c. pumpkin seeds
  • 1/3 c. sunflower seeds (optional)

1. Place almond pulp, syrup, almond butter, and bananas in the food processor and process until creamy.

2. Transfer to a medium-size mixing bowl and fold in pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

3. Spread mixture on 2 teflex dehydrator sheets.

4. Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 12-16 hours depending on your preference for crunchy or chewy crackers. Peel off teflex sheets after 4-6 hours, and flip onto the mesh tray.

5. Cut into crackers with a pizza cutter.

Makes 18 crackers

• How do you use your almond pulp?
  • Have you ever made raw crackers?

This recipe will be shared at:

1. What a scrumptious snack and super healthy-great for the whole family to gobble up!

Laura, the first batch of these crackers did not last long. Thankfully, I make almond milk 2-3 times a week. I’m wondering how smooth these crackers would be with pulp leftover from your cashew milk. Yum!!

2. Great idea Heather. I wish I had a dehydrator. Do you think an oven set to 170 F and parchment paper might work?

Oh, you would LOVE a dehydrator, France! Yes, the oven at the lowest setting would be just fine. Just choose a day when you’re at home working all of your other magic. (Love your TV Tuesday!) I love that I can leave a dehydrator all day while I’m at work or overnight while I sleep. (Who needs a sleep machine when you have a dehydrator buzzing in the kitchen? Ha!)

3. Linda says:

Those look great, Heather! Makes me think about getting a dehydrator.

4. Heather, these look awesome! Pinned! :-)

xo,

5. Heidi says:

These sound delicious! I’ll be pinning this and sharing the pin on Facebook at OneCreativeMommydotcom. Thanks for joining the party at Gluten-Free Monday! Please feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. The new party is open. I hope you’ll be back.

6. Maggie Komar says:

OMG- who doesn’t know that almond pulp can be made into almond cheese??? That is my primary purpose with almonds and the milk is totally secondary! Add a couple tbsp nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp sea salt to a batch of about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of almond pulp and then add your favourite herbs, garlic, whatever you like. It makes a great substitute for cresm cheese if you’re going raw or vegan and it would probably taste great on these crackers too!

Maggie, YUM! I make nut cheese with nuts, but I’ve never just used the pulp. DUH! Thanks so much for sharing! I guess what is intuitive to one person is a revelation to the next! :)

7. amber says:

Hi Heather,

These look fabulous! I will be making these this week and I will let you know how they turn out. And I love how you are using up that almond pulp. So great.

Hugs,
    –Amber

1. Raw Foods Thursdays 10/11/12 | Gluten-Free Cat - 11. Oct, 2012

[...] I was so inspired that I made these Raw Banana Pumpkin Crackers. [...]

2. Keep It Real Thursday - Raw Banana Pumpkin Crackers, Apple Sauce & More! | beyondthepeel.net - 18. Oct, 2012

[...] Gluten Free Girl [...]