This recipe is a result of my love affair with the Farmer’s Market. We have an amazing Farmer’s Market just a few miles from our home. I love to go on Saturday mornings as early as possible. I wander, I touch, I inhale, I enjoy. Right now, it still feels like summer in Tennessee, so even though the pumpkins, squashes, and cornstalks are starting to appear, we enjoy the benefit of a long summer growing season.
The colors of this late summer harvest captured me and made me want to buy one of everything! The multi-colored tomatoes and the scent of basil wafting through the open-aired pavilion created this delicious summer salad.
What a gorgeous variety of tomatoes!
I’m sure you’ve made tomato basil salads before, but this recipe features the basil in the dressing and not in the salad. It makes for a simple, flavorful tomato salad that just says, hold on to summer for one more week.
Tomato Salad with Basil Dressing
- 2 red tomatoes
- 2 yellow tomatoes
- 1 green tomato
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 c. basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1. Chop tomatoes and place them in a large bowl.
2. Put all other ingredients in the Vitamix (or blender), and puree.
3. Pour basil dressing over the tomatoes and toss to coat.
4. Let salad sit for 30 minutes to allow the tomatoes to become saturated with the dressing.
If you don’t have access to an assortment of tomatoes, just use all red tomatoes and 1 small tomatillo. It tastes almost as good!
- Do you have a local farmer’s market?
- What is one thing that captures you at your market?
- How do you enjoy your basil?
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Allergy Free Wednesdays hosted by Tessa the Domestic Diva , Amber of The Tasty Alternative, Laura’s Gluten-Free Pantry, and friends.
- Keep it Real Thursdays hosted by France of Beyond the Peel
- Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki of Diet, Dessert & Dogs
- Healthy Vegan Friday hosted by Gabby of The Veggie Nook