Is anyone missing summer about now? Just because the sky is gray doesn’t have to mean that the simple tastes and nutrients of summer have to disappear. A week after enjoying the decadence of Thanksgiving I am craving raw simplicity. Today is the perfect day to break out this Raw Creamy Garden Soup inspired by Diane, one of the Raw Foods Girls. When Diane says, “You have to try this soup. It’s the best raw soup I’ve ever had,” you’d be crazy not to listen.
You might remember this picture from the first time I tried Diane’s soup. It came with a stowaway.
Don’t worry, he’s not a part of the recipe.
Raw soups are easy to make. You just need a high powered blender like a Vitamix and a combination of raw veggies. My favorite part of raw soup is the concentration of nutrients and flavors in every spoonful. You can alter the ingredients based on what you have on hand. But if you want a good starting point, try this one.
Not only is it easy to make, but this soup is easy to pack for lunch in a mason jar. No heating required (or recommended).
Pour into a bowl or two, sprinkle with something crunchy like sunflower seeds or sprouts, and garnish with fresh herbs.
Raw Creamy Garden Soup
adapted from Diane’s Recipe
- 1 c. water
- 1/4 c. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 c. chopped kale, packed
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1/2 c. fresh cilantro, packed (reserve some for garnish)
- 2 T. light miso
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno with seeds
- 1 green onion
- 1 1/2 inches of fresh ginger
- 1/2 c. sunflower seeds, soaked for 1 hour, rinsed, and drained (reserve a few for garnish)
1. Place all ingredients except sunflower seeds in the Vitamix and process until smooth.
2. Add the soaked sunflower seeds and blend again.
3. Pour soup into bowls and garnish with sunflower seeds and cilantro.
- Have you ever made raw soup?
- What is your favorite raw soup ingredient?
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Allergy Free Wednesdays hosted by Tessa the Domestic Diva , Amber of The Tasty Alternative, and friends.
- Keep it Real Thursdays hosted by France of Beyond the Peel
- Raw Foods Thursdays here at Gluten-Free Cat
- Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki of Diet, Dessert & Dogs
- Healthy Vegan Friday hosted by Gabby of The Veggie Nook