Merry Christmas family and friends! We are enjoying a quiet Christmas this year. Listening to Christmas music, decorating our Charlie Brown Christmas tree, watching Christmas movies, caroling, evenings with friends, snuggling with Max. Max does quiet Christmas really well.
Last year we traveled to visit my mom. While I’m missing her this Christmas, I love that traditional family recipes can bridge the miles. I wanted to share one of mom’s favorite gluten-free Christmas dessert recipes with you called Berries on a Cloud. There are a few preparation steps that need to be taken days ahead. If I hadn’t been so behind on my Christmas shopping you would have had this recipe last week! Sorry. Just think how you’re extra ahead for Christmas 2013!
Berries on a Cloud is a perfect one-dish dessert for a crowd. Prepare the three layers one day at a time.
Slice and serve.
Don’t look for anything healthy in this recipe. Just enjoy the beautiful Christmas color and the light, fluffy decadence!
Berries on a Cloud
from Heather’s mom
Merengue Layer Ingredients:
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 c. sugar
Cream Cheese Layer Ingredients:
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 8 oz. cool whip
- 1 c. mini marshmallows
Berry Topping Ingredients:
- 1 15 oz. can cherry pie filling
- 2 12-oz packages of frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1/4 c. water
1. Preheat oven to 275.
2. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt to soft peaks.
3. Add 1 3/4 c. sugar and beat until stiff.
4. Lightly grease 9×13 pan. Spread egg white mixture in the bottom of the pan.
5. Bake for 1 hour at 275. Turn oven off and leave for 8 hours or overnight.
6. Cream together cream cheese, 1 c. sugar, and vanilla.
7. Add cool whip and mini marshmallows and refrigerate overnight.
8. Spread cream cheese mixture over the merengue.
9. Puree 1 package of thawed raspberries with 1/4 cup water.
10. Strain berry puree through a fine-meshed sieve to remove the seeds.
11. Mix cherry pie filling, 1 package of thawed raspberries, and pureed raspberries.
12. Spread berry mixture over the cream cheese layer.
13. Cut and serve.
Have a merry Christmas!
- What’s your favorite Christmas dessert?
- Are you having a quiet or busy Christmas?