GF Recipes, Paleo

Baked Dijon Dill Chicken with Mushrooms

15 Comments 07 January 2013

Baked Dijon Dill Chicken with Mushrooms

As you know from Paleo Week, I’ve been experimenting with cooking meat again. My memories of baked chicken are dry, dry, dry. So my goal when baking chicken is to find a way to make it as moist as possible. This Baked Dijon Dill Chicken with Mushrooms is a winner! Not only is the meat moist, but it is full of flavor.

It is delicious with a cup of Butternut Squash and Apple Soup created by a cookbook author that I will be sharing with you soon. But this chicken would be delicious with quinoa, brown rice, or sweet potato sides too.

The rich flavor comes from dijon mustard and mushrooms. You can use any kind of mushrooms you’d like, but the ones that look like they were actually hand-picked always seem to have the best flavor.

Baked Dijon Dill Chicken with Mushrooms

• 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2 c. mushrooms
  • 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 c. fresh dill, chopped
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 c. dijon mustard
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1/2 T. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper

1. Clean chicken breasts and place them in a 9×13 glass baking dish.

2. Wash and slice mushrooms and place them in a small bowl.

3. Combine all other ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until combined to make the marinade.

4. Pour marinade into the bowl of mushrooms and toss to coat.

5. Pour mushroom and marinade mixture over the chicken breasts, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

6. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-45 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts.

Serves 4-6

What’s your secret for moist baked chicken?

This recipe will be shared with:

1. This dish looks fantastic, Heather! I’ll skip all that dill though. ;-) The secret to moist chicken is simply to not overcook it. We are all so paranoid about undercooked chicken that we tend to do that. :-(

xo,

2. Mom says:

I’m making this when we get home! Looks amazingly delicious.

3. AnnMarie says:

This looks fantastic! I wrote the recipe down and will try it soon! Yummy! ;o)

Thanks, AnnMarie. By the way, you have no idea how much you’ve inspired me with your health quest. You rock, woman!!! Your inspiration was just the kick in the pants I needed to work harder toward my goals! Love you!!

• AnnMarie says:

Thanks! Been trying. . .road block with the holidays & a shoulder injury but back on now! Love & hugs to you all! :o )

4. Heidi says:

I’ve had dill on fish, but never chicken. I can’t wait to try this. Thanks for linking up on Gluten-Free Monday at OneCreativeMommy.com.

5. I love the idea of dill, mustard and mushrooms. The chicken breast looks beautiful. I’m still find it strange to find meat recipes on your blog, but I’m a meat eater so its all good. It just throws me off a bit. lol

6. Lisa Seward says:

I made this last night, but instead of mushrooms,which I didn’t have, I added in an organic orange marmalde mix I needed to use up. It gave it a more sweet/sour glaze effect and was pretty interesting with the dill. Very tender chicken.

7. Debi says:

This looks so amazing, Heather! My secret to moist chicken is fixing it in the slow cooker! Perfect every time. Also, if I have to fix anything in the oven, I use a thermometer with an alarm so once the meat reaches the right internal temp, the alarm goes off. :D

8. A great new take on the plain chicken breast! These look so delicious!! This would be a perfect recipe to share at Meal Plan Monday at http://www.modernalternativekitchen.com. The link goes live at 7a EST tomorrow, hope to see you there!

9. Linda says:

I’ve been doing a lot of Dijon with chicken lately. This recipe looks delicious. We enjoy dill, but I don’t usually have fresh.

Another way to make chicken very moist is to brine it. I use salt water with no sugar in it.

How is the meat eating going?

Linda, meat cooking is going well! I’ve found that as long as I buy high quality meat from local ranchers I feel good about eating it and it’s delicious! I’ve never tried brining. New challenge? :)