GF Recipes, Healthy Living, Raw Foods, Vegan

Crunchy Ginger Orange Salad

21 Comments 28 January 2013

Crunchy Ginger Orange Salad

Last weekend we had our Raw Foods Potluck, and I promise I will share all about it this week. With Raw Foods Thursdays and the potluck, I’ve had a lot of fun experimenting but not enough time sharing my fun with you. While thoroughly enjoying the raw leftovers and the inspiration brought by my Raw Foods Girls, the recipes they created, and dishes made from our favorite raw foods authors, I finally have a recipe to share.

Dallas showed up to the potluck with a salad that knocked my socks off. It was Ani Phyo’s Confetti Salad in Orange-Cucumber Dressing from her book Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen. Packed with whole foods and flavor, this recipe is one you must make exactly as written at least once.

I wanted to kick up the ginger a bit and make a cilantro-based dressing. And I was thrilled with the results. (I know, you either love cilantro or you hate it! If you hate it, try using parsley.)

The dressing is creamy which contrasts well with the crunchy cabbage and slivered almonds.

I love this salad as a side or as a meal by itself.

Crunchy Ginger Orange Salad

• 1 large handful of cilantro, about 1 cup
  • 3 T. chopped ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/4 c. pine nuts
  • 1 tsp. sea salt

1. Remove coarse stems from kale leaves, roll like a burrito, and cut into thin ribbons.

2. Roll romaine lettuce leaves and cut into 1/2-inch slices.

3. Chop cabbage into bite-sized pieces.

4. Place kale, romaine, and cabbage in a large bowl and top with slivered almonds and dried cranberries.

5. Put all dressing ingredients in a Vitamix or blender and blend until creamy.

6. Pour dressing over the salad and toss to coat.  Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Serves 6-8

This salad is even better the second day!

• Do you have a favorite raw foods cookbook?
  • Are you a cilantro lover or hater?
This recipe will be shared with:

1. Betsy says:

Yummy! I have everything but romaine and cabbage right now. I may have to give this salad a try for lunch!

2. Luckily I am a cilantro lover! It would be so sad to hate it. The salad looks beautiful!

3. Lynne L says:

Sounds lovely! I think I’m also going to add avocado slices. I just love cilantro. Thanks for the recipe!

4. Now you know which recipe this reminds me of with the creamy dressing, crunchy cabbage and almonds, cranberries, and romaine, right? ;-) This one seems like a “must make” for sure, Heather!

Oh, Shirley, you are so right!!! Sweet crunchy memories!!! That poppy seed dressing just makes that salad too! In Ani’s original recipe she uses dried cherries. Bigger bang for sure but less accessible. I don’t think you can go wrong with a little sweet, sour, and crunch. :) xoxo

5. This sounds (and looks!) delicious :)

6. I love the combination of ginger and orange together. Another fabulous salad Heather!

7. Eileen Beran says:

Looks delicious! Thanks for posting!

8. Bigg Sis says:

Sounds really delicious – love the flavors, and I DO like cilantro, gonna try subbing walnuts for pine nuts because I don’t have any. I found you on Real Food Forager’s Tuesday Linky Party.

Walnuts would give such a great flavor. Super idea! Ani’s original recipe called for cashews, but I only have pine nuts. Ah, the flexibility of the nut!

9. The flavors in your salad sound amazing. Love the orange, cilantro and kale combination.

10. Oh wow this salad sounds so amazing! I definitely want to make this!!

11. Kat says:

For the love of kale, this is too yummy to be true!

12. Jennifer says:

Looks awesome! I LOVE your site! Hope you don’t mind but I’m going to link you and visit often :)

1. Vegetarian, Gluten-Free Roundup: Skewing Italian - 01. Feb, 2013

[...] Gluten-Free Cat shared Crunchy Ginger Orange Salad [...]

2. Candida diet, whole foods, sugar-free, vegan Wellness Weekend Event | Ricki Heller - 13. Aug, 2013

[...] Crunchy Ginger Orange Salad from Gluten Free Cat. This would make a refreshing change in winter, don’t you think? [...]

3. St. Patrick's Day Round-Up (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan) - In Johnna's Kitchen - 12. Mar, 2014

[…] In my mind, cabbage is an essential ingredient in a dish to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.  Heather of Gluten-Free Cat has this delicious Crunchy Ginger Orange Salad. […]