Last weekend we had our Raw Foods Potluck, and I promise I will share all about it this week. With Raw Foods Thursdays and the potluck, I’ve had a lot of fun experimenting but not enough time sharing my fun with you. While thoroughly enjoying the raw leftovers and the inspiration brought by my Raw Foods Girls, the recipes they created, and dishes made from our favorite raw foods authors, I finally have a recipe to share.
Dallas showed up to the potluck with a salad that knocked my socks off. It was Ani Phyo’s Confetti Salad in Orange-Cucumber Dressing from her book Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen. Packed with whole foods and flavor, this recipe is one you must make exactly as written at least once.
I wanted to kick up the ginger a bit and make a cilantro-based dressing. And I was thrilled with the results. (I know, you either love cilantro or you hate it! If you hate it, try using parsley.)
The dressing is creamy which contrasts well with the crunchy cabbage and slivered almonds.
I love this salad as a side or as a meal by itself.
Crunchy Ginger Orange Salad
inspired by Dallas and Ani
- 1/2 bunch of kale
- 1/2 head of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries
- 1/2 c. slivered almonds
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 orange, peeled and divided into sections
- 1 large handful of cilantro, about 1 cup
- 3 T. chopped ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 c. pine nuts
- 1 tsp. sea salt
1. Remove coarse stems from kale leaves, roll like a burrito, and cut into thin ribbons.
2. Roll romaine lettuce leaves and cut into 1/2-inch slices.
3. Chop cabbage into bite-sized pieces.
4. Place kale, romaine, and cabbage in a large bowl and top with slivered almonds and dried cranberries.
5. Put all dressing ingredients in a Vitamix or blender and blend until creamy.
6. Pour dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.
This salad is even better the second day!
- Do you have a favorite raw foods cookbook?
- Are you a cilantro lover or hater?
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Allergy Free Wednesdays hosted by Tessa the Domestic Diva , Amber of The Tasty Alternative, and friends.
- Keep it Real Thursdays hosted by France of Beyond the Peel
- Raw Foods Thursdays here at Gluten-Free Cat
- Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki of Diet, Dessert & Dogs
- Healthy Vegan Friday hosted by Gabby of The Veggie Nook