GF Recipes, Raw Foods, Vegan

Raw Vegan Strawberry Fudge Cups

22 Comments 18 February 2013

Raw Vegan Strawberry Fudge Cups

We had an incredible Raw Foods Potluck over the weekend, and I can’t wait to share the inspirational feast that we enjoyed.  I will give you a sneak peak at the dessert that I brought to the event. While creating these Strawberry Fudge Cups I had three goals. First, I had to use some of my leftover almond pulp. Second, I wanted to incorporate fresh fruit. And third, it had to be sweet enough to call it a dessert, yet not so sweet that it would be a decadent treat.

I think I succeeded! But I was quite nervous to show up to a potluck with a dessert that I had created just that afternoon, especially when the event was being hosted by certified raw foods chefs! (Just check out those chocolate almond butter bites in the background!) Yikes!

All you need is a food processor or blender to mix the batter and a freezer or refrigerator to help the cups solidify. That’s it. No fancy gadgets here.

Strawberry Fudge Cups

Fudge Ingredients:

Frosting Ingredients:

Extra:
  • 10 whole strawberries, cut and fanned

1. Place all fudge ingredients in a food processor except for the chopped dates. Process until smooth.

2. Add chopped dates and pulse once or twice so the dates remain chunky.

3. Scoop fudge dough into 10 muffin tins lined with muffin liners, place them in the freezer, and begin preparing the frosting.

4. Place 1 T. of coconut oil in a small glass dish. Place the dish in another bowl of hot tap water to gradually soften the coconut oil. Continue replacing the hot water until the coconut oil is almost a clear liquid.

5. Combine melted coconut oil, cacao powder, and coconut nectar in a small bowl and mix with a fork.

6. Drizzle the frosting over each strawberry fudge cup and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

7. Top each fudge cup with a fresh strawberry right before serving. You can serve it in the muffin liner or carefully remove the fudge cup from the liner.

Yields 10 fudge cups

You can serve them in the muffin liner or carefully remove the liner and serve on a plate.

• What’s your favorite raw chocolate treat?
  • What’s your favorite fruit to eat with chocolate?
  • Would you bring a tried and true dish to a potluck or do you experiment and bring something new?
This recipe will be shared with:

1. I bet they were a hit at the potluck! My favorite raw chocolate treat is pudding made with cashews or avocado, and raw chocolate truffles with coconut. I love almost any fruit with chocolate, but especially cherries and oranges. I don’t follow recipes very well, so everything I make is usually a new creation :)

Oh, I forgot about Avocado chocolate pudding, Nikki! I made it a few years back and loved it! Thanks for the reminder. Sounds like a treat for next weekend!

2. Laura says:

This is my kinda treat! My kids are crazy about any combination of strawberries and chocolate and I love when the treat is raw and full of live enzymes. These cups are beautiful too!

3. Wow, these sound amazing! All of my favorite ingredients in one! : )

I will often feel compelled to experiment for a potluck, but have, on more than one occasion, had to scrap my experiment, and make a quick batch of cashew chocolate chip raw balls!

4. Amber says:

Hi Heather. I just ate lunch and have such a sweet tooth right now and these are just, wow!! These look wonderful and I have to say, I’m with Laura, I also love the combination of chocolate and strawberries. What a great, healthy recipe. Have a great rest of your Monday. Feels like a weekend cuz my honey has he day off. We’ve been working around the house – and doing what I do best…cleaning and organizing. :-)

What a lovely President’s Day for you, Amber! I hope you got a break from all of your industriousness! I’m jealous!! I’m feeling the spring cleaning bug, but haven’t had a chance to spend a day getting down and dirty. :) Have a beautiful week. I’m excited to have something to share at AFW this week!

5. I’m a weird-o I guess, but I’m not a big fan of fruit and chocolate. I made chocolate covered strawberries for the very first time last week (just in time for Valentine’s Day). I love chocolate. And I love fruit. But I love them in their own special ways ;-)

I have the hardest time working with chocolate! I have much better luck w/ raw chocolate than tempering ‘regular’ chocolate, but they both give me fits.

I was just eating a LuLu’s raw chocolate bar tonight and thinking, “How do they do this?” I can use the same ingredients listed on their package, and my results, while tasty, are nothing like theirs! Crazy.

I love sharing new creations with people. Writing for a blog, I rarely have time to make my recipes after their published. I might make them a few times before I share online, but after that, I’m onto something new. But, if I ever went to a raw food potluck, I’d probably take something I’ve made before – and something new :-D

I’m jealous of your pot-lucking! I’ve never been. Supposedly there is a meetup group near-ish me, but I’ve written the supposed contact and received noting in return. Oh well *sigh*

Veronica, you are not a weirdo at all! I think I’d prefer chocolate filled chocolate topped with chocolate too! :) I have never gotten adventurous enough to temper chocolate. Adding raw cacao is more my speed! Wouldn’t it be fun to go to a cooking class and learn how to do all of these wonderful things?

If you’re ever in Nashville we will have a Raw Foods Potluck in your honor! I hope you can find one near you until then! xoxo

6. Gorgeous and no doubt incredibly yummy!! Great job, Heather!

xo,

7. I usually experiment for pot lucks…sometimes I wish I hadn’t :( but I can’t help myself. These raw fudge cups look and sounds fabulous!

8. Peggy says:

Those looks great!

9. Linda says:

Wow, Heather! Those are amazing. They look both lovely and delicious.

10. Vicky says:

I must try these! Gorgeous!

11. Lauren says:

Yay! Another way to use the mounds of almond pulp I’m constantly accumulating. Thanks Heather! :-)

12. My mouth is watering looking at these! What a great combination of ingredients! I really look forward to making them…I know they will be a big hit with my family! Thank you for sharing!

13. Hey girl! These were one of my favourite recipes on HVF this week so I’m featuring it! How could I say no to strawberry and chocolate??

Thanks for sharing and I hope to see you back!

1. Allergy-Free Wednesdays: February 27, 2013 | The Willing Cook - 26. Feb, 2013

[...] Raw Vegan Strawberry Fudge Cups from Gluten-Free Cat [...]

2. Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Blog Hop Week 56 | Gluten Free Pantry - 26. Feb, 2013

[...] Raw Vegan Strawberry Fudge Cups @ Gluten-Free [...]

3. healthy vegan friday #32the veggie nook | the veggie nook - 01. Mar, 2013

[...] Sinful but Healthful Indulgence: Raw Strawberry Fudge Cups from Heather @ Gluten-Free [...]