Soon spring will be bursting forth, and delicious, tender greens will be everywhere. Hopefully you’ve been able to find a good source of greens during the long winter months. St. Patrick’s Day is coming up, and whether you celebrate or not, it’s a wonderful excuse to get some extra greens into your diet.
Here are my top 3 ways to increase the greens in my diet:
1. Eat a green leafy salad every day. Try a different kind of green every day to keep it varied. Ever had a mache salad? Or a peppery arugula salad? How about an all herb salad like parsley and basil?
2. Use lettuce or kale leaves to wrap up your lunch. Romaine wrapped chicken salad, swiss chard wrapped curried cashew pate, kale wrapped egg salad…just find your favorite filling and wrap it up in a leaf.
3. Toss a handful or two of your favorite greens into your morning smoothie. My favorites are kale and spinach. Kale can be a bit grainy, so I like to add avocado to smooth it out.
Here’s my latest favorite green smoothie. I hope you like it!
Healthy Shamrock Smoothie
- 1 c. almond milk (I use homemade.)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Sunwarrior Warrior.)
- 1 tsp. spirulina (I use Earthrise Spirulina.)
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 2 c. spinach leaves, packed
- 1 pear
- 1/4 avocado
1. Place all ingredients in a Vitamix or blender and blend until creamy.
2. Pour into your favorite smoothie cup and enjoy!
Makes 1 large smoothie
Other green smoothies you might enjoy:
- What’s your favorite St. Patrick’s Day treat? (Do NOT say green beer, ha!)
- What’s your favorite green smoothie ingredient?
- How do you get more greens in your day?