Raw Food Thursdays has been such an inspiration to me. With a week of spring break, I had some extra time to play and to learn from raw experts and experimenters alike who have shared their creations with us. I would put myself in the experimenter category, and I’ve had some raw flops and fiascos some raw successes.
These Raw Apple Pie Bars are a success! They are similar to granola bars, but they are grain-free. If you make homemade almond milk, you can use your leftover almond pulp. If you don’t, just substitute extra almonds and process them into a fine powder.
They taste like apple pie but are far easier to make and better for you. All you need is a food processor to combine all of the ingredients and a bread pan to press the mixture into. You can refrigerate them and serve for a moist bar, or you can dehydrate them for a crispier snack.
Raw Apple Pie Bars
- 10 dates, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1/2 c. almond pulp (or 1/2 c. finely ground almonds)
- 1 c. almonds, chopped coarsely
- 1 c. dried apple rings, packed
- 1/4 c. dried coconut
- 2 T. coconut nectar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
1. Soak dates in water in a small bowl for 20 minutes.
2. Chop 1 cup of almonds coarsely in the food processor and set them aside in a large bowl.
3. Place drained dates and all other ingredients except for the chopped almonds in the food processor and process until the mixture begins sticking together.
4. Spoon the date mixture onto the chopped almonds and combine by hand.
5. Press firmly into an 8×4 bread pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Cut into 8 bars and serve.
7. Optional – Dehydrate for 2-3 hours at 115 to crisp up the outside.
- What have you been experimenting with lately?
- Where do you find your kitchen inspiration?
- Fat Tuesday hosted by Jill of Real Food Forager
- Slightly Indulgent Tuesday hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free
- Gluten-Free Wednesdays hosted by Linda of The Gluten-Free Homemaker
- Real Food Wednesdays hosted by Kelly the Kitchen Kop
- Allergy Free Wednesdays hosted by Tessa the Domestic Diva , Amber of The Tasty Alternative, and friends.
- Raw Foods Thursdays here at Gluten-Free Cat
- Wellness Weekends hosted by Ricki of Diet, Dessert & Dogs
- Healthy Vegan Friday hosted by Gabby of The Veggie Nook
- Gluten-Free Fridays hosted by Cindy of Vegetarian Mama