Last week was a fantastic one in the food realm. I decided that I would eat high raw vegan for the week. Within days, I had high energy (enough to throw in two extra workouts), my complexion cleared, and I started craving food that is actually good for my body instead of the usual foods that I crave. Even out for birthday dinner, I was excited about eating a gorgeous veggie salad with a side of quinoa. I wasn’t even tempted by the plate of cheesy nachos in front of the birthday boy.
But I must have had Mexican food on my mind, because these Raw Cheesy Vegan Tacos seemed to pop out of my kitchen the following day.
They are actually quite easy to make. The “tortilla” is a thinly sliced piece of jicama, but the flavor comes from the Spicy Vegan Cheese. Just spread the jicama with cheese, add your favorite taco fixin’s, and enjoy.
Raw Cheesy Vegan Tacos
- 1 jicama, in round slices
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Spicy Vegan Cheese (recipe below)
- Sunflower sprouts
- Chopped tomatoes
- Cucumbers, sliced thinly
- Veggies of your choosing
1. Peel jicama and slice finely using a Mandolin slicer.
2. Spread jicama tortillas with Spicy Vegan Cheese.
3. Top with veggies and avocado.
4. Fold and eat!
The cheese recipe is also super easy to make. Just toss a few ingredients into the food processor, and there you have it!
Spicy Vegan Cheese
- 1 c. cashews
- 1/4 c. chopped red pepper
- 1/4 of a jalapeno
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 T. tumeric
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. water
1. Toss all ingredients in the food processor and mix. Stop several times to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Process until smooth.
2. Use with raw tacos, crackers, or as a veggie dip.
3. Keeps in the refrigerator up to a week.
Makes 1 cup
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!
- What is your best raw foods experiment?
- What is your favorite vegan cheese?
This recipe will also be shared with: Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Raw Foods Thursdays,Wellness Weekends, Healthy Vegan Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays