GF Recipes, Raw Foods, Vegan

Kale Beet Orange Salad with Green Garlic Dressing

13 Comments 06 May 2013

Kale Beet Orange Salad with Green Garlic Dressing

I’ve been eating kale in smoothies, salads, and snacks for months now. I can’t get enough of it. And you know how much I love Hallie Klecker’s new ebook Crazy for Kale! Her book has really inspired me to combine some favorite flavors to enjoy with this power plant. If you missed my review of Crazy for Kale, you can read it here.

This week I created a simple kale salad that I think you’ll really enjoy. The salad itself just has 3 little ingredients, but the dressing makes it come alive.

Kale Beet Orange Salad with Green Garlic Dressing

Salad Ingredients:

• 1 bunch of kale, removed from stem and cut in small pieces
  • 4 medium beets, peeled and shredded
  • 1-2 oranges, peeled and cut in bite-sized pieces

Dressing Ingredients:

• 1 garlic clove
  • 1 handful of cilantro
  • 1 large orange
  • 1/4 c. raw cashews
  • 1/3 c. olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

1. Prepare salad ingredients. Place kale in a large bow. Set shredded beets and orange pieces aside.

2. Start the dressing by placing the garlic clove and cilantro in a food processor. Process until pieces stick to the sides of the bowl.

3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add remaining dressing ingredients. Process until creamy.

4. Pour 1/2 cup of the dressing over the kale and massage the dressing into the kale leaves by hand.

5. Add shredded beets, orange pieces, and 1/4 cup of additional dressing. Toss to coat.

Serves 6-8

• Are you in love with kale?
  • What’s your favorite kale dish?

This recipe was shared with:  Slightly Indulgent TuesdaysGluten-Free WednesdaysAllergy Free WednesdaysRaw Foods Thursdays, Wellness WeekendsHealthy Vegan FridayGluten-Free Fridays, Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love, 5-Ingredient Mondays

1. Johnna says:

This is beautiful! I’m a big fan of kale and beets, adding this to the menu this week.

2. My inner kale monster is screaming for a bowl of this for lunch!! :)

3. What a lovely combination! I adore kale and beets together and the addition of orange to the salad sounds scrumptious!

4. Maggie says:

The dressing sounds amazing! Will definitely be trying this :)

5. Mmm this salad sounds *so* good. I have a beet that needs to be eaten… this looks like a good reason to use it up =)

6. YUM! I am definitely crazy for kale :) Just had a big bowl of it for lunch! This salad sounds so bright and clean tasting!

7. Amber says:

Ha ha…your comment over on AFW made me laugh (about selling your oven). I love all your raw recipes, Heather. I can tell it’s such a passion of yours. And I have to say, making food in the dehydrator (or just eating raw food) is so addicting. I’m currently working on some raw dehydrated cereal recipes and it’s so fun! And so empowering to eat foods in their natural state or un-cooked. Love it. Thanks for sharing with us on AFW.

8. mary says:

I made this salad and salad dressing several days ago; easy to prepare and so delicious! I substituted canned mandarin oranges from Trader Joe’s for the oranges. I grated the beets; using enough for one salad. Chopped up enough kale for one salad. Once the dressing was made, all I needed to do was to chop enough kale for my salad, add the grated beets and mix in some dressing.

9. Erin says:

This salad is all of my favourite foods combined! I love it, it would be a great addition to 5-Ingredient Mondays (http://siftstirandsavour.com/2013/05/12/5-ingredient-mondays-sugar-free-peanut-butter-cups-vegan-gluten-free-2/), if you’re interested :)

10. Laura says:

I am featuring your refreshing salad this week on AFW :)

11. The salad looks great! I need to try out that book too! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

1. The Everything Guide to Making GF Bread, Protein Carrot Cake, Grain-Free Ice Cream Sandwich & More! | Gluten Free Pantry - 14. May, 2013

[...] Kale Beet Orange Salad with Green  Garlic Dressing @ Gluten-Free [...]