GF Recipes, Raw Foods, Vegan

Raw Vegan Herbed Cheese Crumbles

14 Comments 21 May 2013

Raw Vegan Herbed Cheese Crumbles

I’ve made the commitment to eating vegan several times in the past only to be thwarted by cheese. I just love cheese. I love it on pizzas, in sandwiches, melted on gluten-free tortillas, sprinkled on salads, sliced on crackers. I love it any which way. But since eating high raw for the past few months, the whole cheese temptation hasn’t been a problem.

Why? What’s different now? First of all, my taste buds have changes. I don’t crave cheese because I’m getting so many incredible flavors from raw foods combinations. Secondly, I’ve learned how to make raw cheese substitutes that satisfy even this cheese lover.

I’ve made all sorts of cheese spreads, but I wanted a cheese that I could actually bite into or crumble on salads, almost like a feta cheese. I came up with one that I really like. It’s very easy to make. Just blend up 4 simple ingredients and place the cheese dough in small dolups on a dehydrator sheet.

Dehydrate for about 4 hours and they’re ready to eat.

You can add these little cheese balls to salads or just pop them into your mouth for a little snack.

Raw Vegan Herbed Cheese Crumbles

• 1/2 c. cashews
  • 1/2 c. pinenuts
  • 1 handful of cilantro
  • 1 T. gluten-free tamari

1. Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix or high powered blender. Continue to scrape down the sides and blend until mixture combines but still has small chunks.

2. Place small dolups of cheese, about the size of a small grape, on dehydrator sheets.

3. Dehydrate at 115 for 2 hours.

4. Remove from the dehydrator sheets and place on the mesh trays. Dehydrate for an additional 2 hours or until desired crunchiness is attained.

Makes about 40 cheese balls

Liven up your favorite salad with these Raw Herbed Cheese Crumbles and let me know what you think!

• What’s your favorite vegan cheese?
  • Do you eat vegan? If so, do you have a animal-based food that you have a hard time not missing?

1. Heathre says:

I eat vegan at home but still eat cheese when I’m out.

2. Cheese is definitely one of my weak spots too. Never really cared for meat, but cheese, o man, the smellier the better :o ) These look really good, I’ve pinned them and am making a mental note to make them soon.

3. Alisa says:

Yum! I love cheesy things with cashews and pine nuts!

4. I’ve been without cheese for many months and have been wanting to try to make my own raw food cheese substitutes. Except for the high price of pine nuts,this sounds like something I’d go for! Thanks.

Kathy, I know. Even cashews are so expensive. But the recipe does make a lot. I find that if I make a cheese with even just 1 cup of nuts it lasts me all week. I tell myself that I’m not buying junk food anymore, so the healthy nuts are worth the price!

5. Mmm…sounds delicious, I’ve been craving cashews.

6. amber says:

LOVE finding dairy-free alternatives. Great recipe, Heather. Just a few ingredients, love that and I can tell this does pack a lot of cheese-like flavor. And girl, I was a hopeless cheese-a-holic before I was diagnosed with CD. But as much as I loved cheese, when I stopped eating it so many of my health conditions improved. It was hard at first, but after so many years, it’s like second nature to pass on it. And there are so many fabulous alternatives. Cashews being my absolute favorite!!

Amber, I don’t have the classic problems with dairy. I just feel so much better when I don’t have it. Cheese just makes me feel weighted down and sluggish. It was so hard to give is up until I realized how easy it was to make alternatives. The hardest part is definitely dining out. Cheese is on everything!

7. Holy crap! This looks insanely tasty! Can’t wait to try to make them. I love how simple it is to throw together =)

8. These are so cute and I love the short ingredients list.

I was never a big fan of cheese, so giving it up wasn’t difficult for me. Even still though, sometimes I find myself missing that savoury, salty taste. These look perfect so help satisfy those cravings!

Gabby, thank you! The short ingredient list makes me wonder if I can even call it a recipe! Recipe for a drink of water…glass, water, ice. Hmmmm. ;)

1. Raw Foods Thursdays 5/23/13 | Gluten-Free Cat - 23. May, 2013