GF Recipes, Raw Foods, Vegan

Beautiful Berry Beet Smoothie

16 Comments 26 June 2013

Beautiful Berry Beet Smoothie

You are probably going to see a lot of smoothies from me this month. While my kitchen is slowly being packed up for the move, I will soon be left with nothing but the Vitamix and a smoothie cup. And there’s no way that the Vitamix is going into a box. It will probably be placed in the backseat of the car at the last minute with Max the Cat…my precious cargo!

And my catnip pillow, right?

I’ve been living on my latest favorite breakfast lunch dinner meal, The Berry Beet Smoothie.

This smoothie was easy for me to make, because I usually have a container of shredded beets in the fridge. These beets are prepped on the weekend and ready to add to a salad, but why wait until lunch to benefit from the cleansing properties of beets? And beets are so sweet that they combine well with berries in a smoothie to give you a sweet start to your day.

If you don’t have a pre-shredded salad bar in your fridge, just peel and chop up a beet and add it to your next berry smoothie. Wowza!

Beautiful Berry Beet Smoothie

1. Pour nut milk into the Vitamix or high-speed blender, and add chia seeds and protein powder. Pulse to combine and leave for 5 minutes to allow the chia seeds to gel.

2. Add beets, berries, and almond butter and blend until creamy.

Serves: 1

Late breaking news! This smoothie tastes great with chocolate protein powder too!

Other raw beet dishes you might enjoy?

• What’s one kitchen appliance that you can’t live without?
  • Have you ever tried raw beets in a smoothie?

1. Maggie says:

Mmmm, I’m totally craving this Heather! I will tuck it away for beet season – we are getting beet greens right now, but beets will be another month probably. Looks and sounds delish!

2. Laura says:

Yum! I really need to add more beets to my smoothies they provide such a nutritional boost and vibrant color. Good luck with your move and all of the boxes-I remember that from 6 months ago!

3. Love the color! You should probably call it Beautiful Berry Beet Smoothie. ;-) You are a smart girl not to pack up that Vitamix!

xo,

4. Emma says:

Oooh isn’t beetroot beautiful. I’ve made a beet-orange smoothie before which was delicious. Adds a great nutrient boost too. Good luck with the move!

5. Lisa H says:

Heather, this looks wonderful! But I have a problem with raw beets…I love them, but they make my throat feel weird, like it is raw and I can’t get it cleared. Never had any problems with cooked beets, so was totally surprised when I ate a raw piece of one. I actually tried it a second time at a later date just to see, and it was worse! Think it would taste the same if I steam them first?

Lisa, I say go for it! I’ve never tried this smoothie with steamed beets, but I’ve enjoyed cooked sweet potatoes in smoothies. I’m sure it would be similar.

6. Beautiful indeed!

I had not seen a purple smoothie before – love it (almost as much as your red velvet cake ;-)

Safe journey my friend.

7. What a great idea – I’ve never had beet in a smoothie but the colour would be amazing! Good luck for the final packing / move preparations too :)

8. amber says:

Hi Heather,

This smoothie looks fabulous!!! And beautiful is right!! I have tried raw beets in a smoothie. In fact, I also have a berry beet smoothie recipe (but with less beets). And the one kitchen appliance I could not live without…hum. Probably the food processor. It’s so functional. I use it just about everyday. :-)

9. Kat says:

Aww, your kitty is so cute.

10. This is going to be my breakfast tomorrow morning with some raspberries, strawberries and gojis :) So excited!!

11. I have juiced beets but never used them in a smoothie! Awesome!! Thanks for linking up at Gluten Free Fridays! Sorry this got posted on the other one too, I couldn’t delete it :) Sorry :)

12. Don’t ever apologise for smoothie recipes! It’s so hot out here that’s all I want to eat right now ;p

Hmmm… I’m not much for beets… but you have yet to steer me wrong, so I suppose I’ll give it a shot. I think I even have a beet or two in my fridge.